cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ONS15454 Ethernet Circuit Creation Problem

curt.ritter
Level 1
Level 1

We are attempting to create an STS-3c Ethernet circuit between 2 nodes that both have the E100T-12-G Ethernet cards on an OC-48 ring.  We know there is the limitation of 12 total STS's that can be created on each of the E100T cards.  Node A has (6) STS-1 circuits provisioned, while Node B has (5) STS-1 circuits and (1) STS-3c circuit, for a total of 8 STS's.  During the circuit creation, the Ethernet card in Node A does not show up as an available card, while Node B ethernet card does show up as an available card.  Oddly enough Node B has more STS's on it than Node A but for some reason Node A's card cannot be provisioned.

Why does this card not show up while trying to create an STS-3c circuit?  If we change the circuit type to STS-1, then it does show up as an available card.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Alexei Kiritchenko
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Curt,

May you verify the card works in a port-mapped or single switch mode? Multicard EtherSwitch limits bandwidth to STS-6c.

Otherwise you may need to delete all the circuits and re-provision them again starting with 3c. That is due to the card limitation which is described in “CSCse84101    Port-mapped e100 does not allow create STS-1 with 2 STS3cs present”. That is not going to be resolved hence we need to follow the creation rule.

===========================================================

In a system with multiple Ethernet circuits provisioned in a point-to-point configuration, you might be unable to use the entire 12c bandwidth in a mixed configuration if you do not adhere to the following rules. These rules are applicable to all E-series modes including port-mapped.

To allow use of the full STS 12c bandwidth capacity to be dropped at each node in a point-to-point configuration, provision your circuits in the following order:

Scenario 1: One 12c Circuit

Scenario 2: Two 6c Circuits

Scenario 3: One 6c Circuit followed by two 3c Circuits

Scenario 4: One 6c Circuit followed by six STS-1 Circuits

Scenario 5: Two 3c Circuits followed by six STS-1 Circuits

Scenario 6: Four 3c Circuits

Scenario 7: Twelve STS-1 Circuits

These guidelines are the only supported configurations for full 12c bandwidth utilization using any E-Series mode, including port-mapped mode. ===========================================================

Regards,

Alex

The Ethernet card is provisioned as Port-Mapped.  The existing, previously created, (6) STS-1 circuits were created several years ago.

The E-Series cards have experieced a number of engineering rules restricting deployment scenarios.

Do you know which STS's are available to provision on this card?  It might be that there are not 3 contiguous STS-1s available to create the STS-3c to this card.  Also, I can not remember if when provisioning the E-Series cards for STS-3c if the circuit needed to start at STS #1, STS #4, STS #7 or STS #10.

Sorry I can't be of more difinitive assistance.

Tom

The limitation of E-series cards is that internally it allows provisioning in blocks of STSes. Each block can only be a certain type. If internally the card does not have a block for a complete sts3c circuit (fragmentation), we won’t be able to create it even if total BW allows it. Unfortunately that is card limitation which is described in the mentioned CSCse84101 and hence high speed circuits have to be created first.

I ended up moving 2 circuits to another card, and then deleted 2 others.  I was then able to create the STS-3c and from there I re-created the 2 deleted STS-1 circuits.  I was able to create the STS-3c with 2 STS-1's remaining in place.  Everything is now looking good.  We've seen some peculiar things with these E-Series cards over the years so I guess we're not surprised when we run into any glitch.

Thanks Everyone!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco