cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP on iPhone and Blackberry?

Talha Ansari
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to register an iPhone or Blackberry as an IP Phone on the CCME(Router) 2800 or 2900? Such that when I enter my office premises I should be able to get an extension number exclusively on my iPhone or blackberry via WIFI as we get on any other IP Phone and I should be able to call any desk phone in my office on their extention number and also reach out to PSTN via my Office PRI number.

What are the pre-requisites that I need to take care of? Is this really possible on 2811 or 2921 router which is acting as a CME?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi There,

While this is not supported by Cisco this doesn't mean that it won't work.  I would suggest configuring this and testing within your environment for yourself for a while before placing in production.  Anything can be implemented with the proper planning.

HTH, Please rate if so

Regards,

Justin

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

brendand05
Level 1
Level 1

The iPhone client only works with the full CallManager not Express

I would expect that Cisco may release a CME compatible iPhone client in  the next 12 months if they want to keep up with market demand.

Justin Brenton
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

You can connect from the iphone/bb through a sip client,  create an EZVPN config on the CME. If  you need assistance with that download the cisco configuration  Profesional it has a very good template that will help you configure it.

Fring is a Sip client that you could look into, there are many out there.

You can also see this page where it has a configuration example

http://uc500.com/iphone-sipphone-client-working-cisco-ucme

HTH, Please rate if so

Regards,

Justin

Justin,

this solution I'm afraid doesn't let to have all functionality of CME, especially extention number of the desktop phone.

The key question was how to use mobile client of iPhone and BlackBerry to connect to CME using secured connection via 3G or Wi-Fi.

As far as I'm aware there is now solution to integrate BlackBerry phones with CME 8.1 only (beside CM 6.1 or later), but in requires to have BlackBerry Enterprise Server running as well.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/17712/index.jsp?name=for+Cisco+Unified+Communications+Manager+Express+-+Configuration+Guide+-+BlackBerry+Mobile+Voice+System+-+5.0&language=English&userType=2&category=BlackBerry+MVS

To my mind, so far there is one good solution to have mobility function on CME is to use Nokia E-series phone with Nokia Call Connect for Cisco client.

Pavel

Cant we use a sip client software for iphone and blackberry?

One guy in the link that Justin provided has posted that he is sucessful in registering iphone on 2811... i dont know how reliable that is..

Well, I cannot comment on that as never experienced it myself. If you will look into supported solutions choises are limited. Cisco supports iPhone and BlackBerry only with CM, targeted to large number corporate of users.

Take a look at this:

http://www.ciscosystems.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns414/ns728/ns829/714860.pdf

"Research In Motion BlackBerry Enterprise Server version 4.1.6 with BlackBerry MVS Small Business version 1.1 using SIP to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express Release 7.0."

Hi There,

While this is not supported by Cisco this doesn't mean that it won't work.  I would suggest configuring this and testing within your environment for yourself for a while before placing in production.  Anything can be implemented with the proper planning.

HTH, Please rate if so

Regards,

Justin

Justin,

no doubt, proper planning is key to success.

Do you have any experience of deploying Nokia E-series phones on CME?

Pavel

I haven't implemented any BB sip clients but I have for the Iphone and Android with success.

I used iSip for my install which worked great on the iPhone.

Regards,

Justin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: