Views
Helpful
Replies

no vtp flow

Richard.Jeff
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

From the below link I could see that the switch ports goes inactive after power cycle if the management vlan is not vlan1. I would like to know will this issue happen always if the management vlan is not vlan1 or only sometimes. Or is there any particular scenario like a particular configuration other than the management vlan then the switch ports will go inactive after power cycle.

I am eager to know this because i faced the issue in my network.

Talking about the two networks i have where in both te networks the management vlan for the client switch is vlan 2 and in the first network the ports were inactive after power cycle and in the second network I have not faced this problem...

Please let me have an idea on this...

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

There is no link so it's not clear what you are referring to. However the answer to your general question is you can use any vlan as the management vlan and it should not affect the state of the ports when the switch is power cycled.

Can't really say much more without more details ie. how you switches are connected, their configuration etc.

Jon

Richard

That link is a bit confusing. It talks initially about a trunk link but then refers to the link being an access port link set to vlan 3 (in the example).

What is your link between the switches, is it a trunk port or an access port ?

Jon

Hi

The ports were trunk ports

Thank You

Richard

Well, what i can say is that if this was an issue if you changed the management vlan from vlan 1 then at the last place i worked we would have spent half our time having to implement that fix.

Once the VTP client has rebooted and the trunk link comes up then it will get the VTP database from the VTP server. If this didn't happen then i think everyone would run VTP transparent just to get round the issue !

Perhaps it is a config issue with your switches - could you post the config ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: