WLC 2100 with APs directly connected

Unanswered Question
Sep 14th, 2010

Greeting All

I`d like to know how the WLC 2100 can register or communicate with an AP directly connected to its internal switch since in case if i`m not using vlan 1 for my APs how i can assign multiple ports to the same Vlan or Virtual interface, this thing is just bugging me a bit and if i have multiple WLAN => multiple Vlans the uplink port to the Layer 3 (trunk port) device has to be the management port (in case i`m  not separating WLAN traffic per port)

Thanks

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3 (1 ratings)
Seifeddine-Tlili Tue, 09/14/2010 - 10:13

Thanks Stephen but this actually doesn`t answer my question since the author just point out to NEVER use the port in WLC 2100 so what if i don`t have a switch and if it`s true why Cisco is installing an 8 ports into the WLC ... actually the document that you sent me is pretty good but at some point it doesn`t make sense .... my original question is how i can setup the port in the WLC so that i can plugin more than one AP in lighweight mode since i can only assign one interface to the AP-Manager interface

Thanks for your help ,i appreciate it

Stephen Rodriguez Tue, 09/14/2010 - 11:52

The port that is the AP-Manager is the same port that is the Management interface, and that is going to go towards the DS.  All the other ports are going to try to talk to the AP-manager if you connect an AP to it.

That being said, there are many issues with using the other 7 ports for AP. Only 2 provide POE, and due to CDP issues, you can still have issues getting the radios up.  Due to arp issues, you can't ping, remote debug, telnet into an AP that is connected to the WLC.   This is why I linked the docuemnt, we are looking to discourage using the 21xx as a direct port for the APs.

Actions

This Discussion