Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN tagging help

ktcisg
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I have a network in which we have to use VLAN tagging to trunk the two seperate networks over 1 ethernet connection. Can you recommend this setup?

There are two seperate subnets, the end devices are not VLAN capable. So im thinking: Uplink ports between the two switches, tagged 802.1Q, the end device;s port will be a member of the appropriate vlan, but untagged. I have attached a picture of a similar setup. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!!!

Gideon

6 Replies 6

Julio Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Gideon,

there is a little bit of a problem with this

what if people in vlan 1 want to communicate with people on Vlan 2 ?

are you doing any routing? and what are the default gateway of the devices in vlan 1 and 2 ?

Rob,

The goal is to actually keep the two vlans seperate so they cannot communicate. I only have one FastE connection for the backbone. So it would seem vlan tagging is the only option.  The default gateway for one network is 10.1.1.1 (gateway router) which will be connected to the main switch. The other vlan scheme is yet to be determined.

If those are layer 3 switches and one of them is doing the routing what you propose should work ok .

oh no. They are layer 2

Well, if you don't want the two VLANs to communicate with each other, your setup is fine. If they should be able to communicate, you need a router, which is in both VLANs.

Cool. Thanks all!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: