AnyConnect Started Crashing on OS X

Unanswered Question
Sep 14th, 2010
User Badges:

I have been using AnyConnect v2.4.1012 successfully for some time now.  I was using it at work yesterday with no issues.  When I came home and started using it again, it would crash after I select my profile and has done so eversince.


Things to note:

- no new software has been installed or updated

- I have ran memtest and Apple's hardware test, both have reported no issues.

- repair disk has been run in single user mode, found no issues

- repair disk permissions has been run in single user mode and did repair some file permissions

- I have uninstalled/reinstalled the AnyConnect client several times.  This last time I tried was the first time I did not get a tun.kext error about it not being installed properly (sorry, don't have the exact error to share).

- before I reinstalled, I removed /opt/cisco

- I have AnyConnect installed on another Mac and am not having this problem

- I do not have, nor ever had another VPN client installed on this machine.


I have attached the crash report.  At the bottom of this file is all of my system info.


Any suggestions on how I can overcome this?


Best regards,

Brenden

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Loading.
brenden_mcewan Tue, 09/14/2010 - 11:09
User Badges:

- I have uninstalled/reinstalled the AnyConnect client several times.  This last time I tried was the first time I did not get a tun.kext error about it not being installed properly (sorry, don't have the exact error to share).



After trying yet another reinstall, I was able to reproduct the kernel extension error:


System extension cannot be used


The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/tun.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used.  Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update.

brenden_mcewan Fri, 09/17/2010 - 18:51
User Badges:

Using mdfind from terminal, I went through and removed or renamed all of the files that appeared to relate to the AnyConnect client on the filesystem and was never able to overcome this issue, until I created another user on my laptop.  AnyConnect worked fine.


I still would have preferred to find the root cause, but I ended up just moving my profile from the problem user to the new user.


One thing to note, when I copied ~/Library from the problem user to the new user, the problem persisted despite having removed all files that referenced Cisco/AnyConnect.  So there is something else, either a db or binary that I didn't remove.


Hope this is helpful as there aren't any other solutions to this exact problem out in the vast cloud!


Brenden

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content