Wireless clients drop VPN connections randomly

Unanswered Question
Sep 15th, 2010

Hello experts,

we use a Cisco 881w wireless router in our company as WLAN access point and Internet router (via NAT). For cabled LAN clients everything works fine, also VPN connections from local clients to remote VPN servers on the Internet are working well. But unfortunately we encounter random VPN connection loses at local clients connected to the router via WLAN. Sometimes the client then even loses the whole wireless connection and needs some minutes to re-connect to WLAN again (of course also the VPN connection has to be re-established on such a client in these cases).

I doubt that the problem is on client side, as this problem occurs for multiple client PCs and notebooks, from XP to Windows 7, and only for wireless connected clients. I would assume it's a WLAN access point configuration error, but until now I haven't found an error.

I have attached the config of the WLAN router, maybe one of you guys can find the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help and any useful hints!

Kind regards, Matthias

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Serge Yasmine Tue, 10/12/2010 - 02:24

Hi Matthias,

I looked at your config and I advise you to:

1- make sure clients are in good range with your Wireless Router

2- assign an operating Channel on your dot11radio 0 interface either channel 1, 6 or 11. Choose the most suitable channel by doing a quick site survey with some free tools like netstumbler. You current channel is not set on the Radio

If still not working, console to the router while problem is happening and do a paste on what is showing on the Wireless Router when the Client is dropping the VPN tunnel.

Keep us posted

This Discussion

Related Content