AP that will work across subnets?

Answered Question
Sep 15th, 2010

Hello,

We currently have a few 2106 wireless controllers and a dozen Aironet 1121 access points at our main location. We have radius authentication as well as certificates etc. This setup works great and has for years. We have a few satellite offices that now need wireless access. They connect via an IPSec VPN but are on different subnets. If I remember correctly when setting this all up I read somewhere that the AP's that we currently have would not work on the different subnets...they would not be able to use the radius etc.  If this is correct, which access point would be the proper one to use out in the satellite offices?

Thank you for your help.

Michael

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Stephen Rodriguez about 6 years 2 months ago

Michael,

Not exactly true.  You could have 1121 across the VPN at the remote site, but all the client traffic would backhaul through the LWAPP/CAPWAP tunnel and ingress/egress at the WLC.

Now if you want all the local traffic to stay loca, then yes the 1121 would not work.  You would need to use HREAP, this is supported on teh 1130/1240/1250/1140 series of AP.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Stephen Rodriguez Wed, 09/15/2010 - 10:45

Michael,

Not exactly true.  You could have 1121 across the VPN at the remote site, but all the client traffic would backhaul through the LWAPP/CAPWAP tunnel and ingress/egress at the WLC.

Now if you want all the local traffic to stay loca, then yes the 1121 would not work.  You would need to use HREAP, this is supported on teh 1130/1240/1250/1140 series of AP.

mlege967 Wed, 09/15/2010 - 11:55

Ah HREAP that is exactly what I remember reading. Yes I would need the traffice to still be local.

Perfect thank you for your help!!

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network