Failover Wlan Controller

Unanswered Question
Sep 15th, 2010

It´s posible implementig Cisco Wlan Controler in a redundacy failover (active/staby) like Cisco ASA. where one Wlan Controller can reply all configuration to other Wlan Controller.

Thank.. Marco

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
mhuaynate Wed, 09/15/2010 - 21:03

well, I have a WCS but, how i can implement this .. do you have a configuration guide...

Leo Laohoo Wed, 09/15/2010 - 21:10

When your WCS can manage your controllers, doesn't the WLC's configuration is copied into the WCS?  Therefore if one fails, the other takes over.  This is achieved when your APs go from one controller to another.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

mhuaynate Wed, 09/15/2010 - 21:30

well, i am trying to implement failover(Active/Staby) when one wlan controller is the primary and the other secondary. somethink lake Cisco ASA failover. if this is posible only the primary wlan controller would be working and the secondary wlan controller would be wainting by take the roll of primary if this fail. For that reason the primary wlan controller has to reply all the configuration periodically to the secondary wlan controller.

Leo Laohoo Wed, 09/15/2010 - 21:41

Right.  Well it's called AP Failover.

This means that if, for example, WLC A fails, all the APs joined to WLC A will join WLC B.  And when WLC A recovers, the AP will go back and join WLC A.

mhuaynate Wed, 09/15/2010 - 21:52

right, but in this solution that you say, there is´nt reply of configuratión betewen wlan controllers . Im implement this solution...

but, the problem is the time of return the service... this document mention the time of pass the one Wlan controller to another is the 30´s to much for the client.... or maybe its posible to reduce this time to 1 second......

Leo Laohoo Wed, 09/15/2010 - 22:01

This document is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo outdated.  In later versions, 6.X and 7.X, "AP Failover Priority" has been added.  This will cut down the time for the AP to "wait" before joining the active controller to a few seconds.

This Discussion