Migrate standalone 6500 switch to VSS.

Unanswered Question
Ruchir Jain Thu, 09/23/2010 - 09:51

Hi Andrea,

When you convert a switch into VSS the switch itself will renumber the physical interfaces from 2 level format to 3 level format. Since we have two switches in VSS so switch number 1 would have its interface renumbered to number 1/x/x from x/x and simillarly switch 2 would have iterfaces renumbered from x/x to 2/x/x. Loopback numbers would remain the same as well as the port-channel.

Though you would need to create two new port-channels which would be used for the VSL link.

I am not sure how much this was of use to you but if you could describe your concerns in detail may be I could help better.

Also, I have this command reference that I made myself for VSS. I will attach it. May you would find it useful.

Cheers,

Ruchir

Attachment: 
christian_jorge Fri, 01/16/2015 - 17:16

Hello

I will perform a migration of 2 switches to a VSS.

My specific concern is about same etherchannels presented in both switches.

For example, in primary switch we have port-channel 10 connecting server A and secondary switch we have the same channel id (port-channel 10) connecting another server (server B).

Do we have to change one channel id before migration?
We are worried about having 2 servers in same channel due to a wrong convertion. Is it possible or will switches have an "intelligence" to avoid this?

Regards

Christian

Actions

This Discussion