Helpful
Replies

Migrate standalone 6500 switch to VSS.

andrea.meconi
Level 2
Level 2

Hello.

I'm reading some documents about migrating standalone switch
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a7c74c.shtml

I'm looking for pre-configuration steps that should be performed before converting: channel and loopback renumbering, ...

Many thanks.

Regards.

Andrea

3 Replies 3

Ruchir Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andrea,

When you convert a switch into VSS the switch itself will renumber the physical interfaces from 2 level format to 3 level format. Since we have two switches in VSS so switch number 1 would have its interface renumbered to number 1/x/x from x/x and simillarly switch 2 would have iterfaces renumbered from x/x to 2/x/x. Loopback numbers would remain the same as well as the port-channel.

Though you would need to create two new port-channels which would be used for the VSL link.

I am not sure how much this was of use to you but if you could describe your concerns in detail may be I could help better.

Also, I have this command reference that I made myself for VSS. I will attach it. May you would find it useful.

Cheers,

Ruchir

Hello

I will perform a migration of 2 switches to a VSS.

My specific concern is about same etherchannels presented in both switches.

For example, in primary switch we have port-channel 10 connecting server A and secondary switch we have the same channel id (port-channel 10) connecting another server (server B).

Do we have to change one channel id before migration?
We are worried about having 2 servers in same channel due to a wrong convertion. Is it possible or will switches have an "intelligence" to avoid this?

Regards

Christian

Hello Christian.

Yes, you need to change one ID.

When VSS is enabled, two switches work like one, so you cannot have two channels with the same ID.

Regards.

Andrea

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card