cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Moving from bundeled T1 lines to fiber optic

bill.moore
Level 1
Level 1

I am working with a medical group that has three locations.  Each location has three T1 lines bundled for data only.  They will be replacing the bundled T1 lines with fiber optic.  They want to have their voice moved over once the fiber is in place and operational.  I need assistance with the configuration when the fiber optic has been installed and confirming that the IOS on the routers will handle the voice and qos.  Below is a list of each location and the routers being used.

Main site has a Cisco 3845, Cisco IOS Software, 3800 Software (C3845-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(17b), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
PCB Serial Number: FOC12125BQW Chassis Serial Number: FTX1218A0DB

Remote site, Homer Phillips, has a Cisco 2851, Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(3i), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) PCB Serial Number: FOC12173G16  Chassis Serial Number: FTX1218A4Q1

Remote Site, Florence Hill, has a Cisco 2851, Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(3i), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
PCB Serial Number: FOC12173G6D  Chassis Serial Number: FTX1218A4PW.

4 Replies 4

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

All three devices should handle your qos needs.

here is a little light reading that will give you some context to consider.

From my own experience, the largest issue is to make sure you get your marking at the edge of the network set up correctly.

If your new links are a managed service, you need to have a conversation with the provider to make sure they honor your classifictions.

if its just dark fiber, then that won't be an issue.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book.html

Here are the current configurations of the three routers that will be moving from the bundeled T1 line to the fiber optic.  I have also attached information from AT&T, the fiber provider.  I need assistance with reconfiguring these routers to make this move.  The Flo Hill and Homer Phillips are the remote sites.  The fourth document is what has been sent from AT&T.  Assistance would be appreciated.

Can someone assist with this?  The transition will take place January 24 and need to preconfigure the routers as much as possible.

Hi Bill

you need to do a larger study to implment QoS because you shouldnt face any issues with applications once you introduce qos. you need to understand the traffic patterns and need to classify them accordingly, once you have the classification in place you need set or allocate proper priority as you do for voice and proper bandwidth for the apps.

Also this is just the L3 qos which i am mentioning you need to make sure that you have proper knowledge about the LAN switches which is already there in place at your site so that you do the qos config in them as well.

If you something like 6500 then you need to make sure that your linecard capability in supporting no of queues and how you can define the same using best practices. if you have other switches like 2960 or 3750 again you do have best practices with respect to configuring the queues on user end prots and also on the uplinks.

when you are done with this you need to make sure that the managed services or QoS classess being offered by your service provider is well off with your own requirement.

if you have not done anything till now its high time you start the study on the applications being used in your network and also make sure you establish the right channel with your service provide to check the kinda QoS offering they are providing to you.

May be once you are done with that you can check out for lan QoS stuffs and getting onto your actual configs on both your routers/switches.

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: