cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why do I have to press the incoming line several times to answer? Phone Model: SPA504G

zimmermans
Level 1
Level 1

Phone Model: SPA504G

When receiving an incoming call, the phone rings and the open line light flashes green. When I pick up the phone handset, the active line light turns red for a few seconds, then goes out. I don't hear anything, nor can the incoming caller hear me, until I press the active line button only after the red light has gone out after picking up the handset and waiting a few seconds.

Similarly, if the phone rings and I pick up the handset and press the active line button immediately after picking up, I then need to press that same line button 2 or 3 more times to be able to speak to/hear the caller. (Only way I can visualize it is opening the line too early, then closing it, then opening it again).

What is wrong with either the network connection or phone settings that may cause the phone not to answer immediately when I simply pick up the handset?

Thank you very much for your help/

10 Replies 10

David Smith
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like it may be a phone load issue.

Does this happen only on one particular 504G or all 504G phones registered to this box?

Can you attach the below in a .txt file please:

sho run

sho ver

sho ephone

sho ephone phone

sho telphony tftp

Also, please indicate the last 4 characters of the MAC on the affected phone.

Thanks, -Dave

It is occurring on all the phones on the network.

We are a small company, so I'm not certain how to find the information you listed, although I will continue to search online to see how to get that info until you come back and help me find that too. This is my first attempt to learn IP phones and it's a little of a crash course.

The MAC addresses endings, however, would be:

5E27, 5D71, 5EAE, CB86, 4674

Thank you very much for your help.

OK, thanks Steve.

Do you know how to log into the router using telnet or SSH?

If  so, you can use something like Putty, or Secure CRT...they have logging  functionality, so you can log into it using telnet or ssh, then set up a  capture to the desktop.

Once you set up logging you then do:

term length 0

then run the below commands:

sho run

sho version

sho ephone

sho ephone phone

sho telephony tftp

Do you know how to telnet or ssh into the box?

Thanks, -Dave

Thank you.

We're trying to use CCA 2.5 (5) for now. I'm not sure of teh restrictions the program puts on us resolving this problem, but until I find that info for you, can you think of a way that using CCA may work to the same ends?

You can check this on the phone itself:

Click on "Settings", it's the button that looks like a piece of paper with the corner folded over.

Scroll down to "Product Info".

Scroll down to "Software Version".

What software version are you running on the phone?

Here's the information you requested. It went pretty easily with the help of a couple short youtube and vimeo clips. It is attached to this reply.

Hey Steve,

OK, you're running the correct load...and I don't see any issues with your config, it all looks fine.

This would need some in depth debugging to find out what's going on.

Does this happen between internal IP phones?  Or only when receiving a call from the PSTN?

If you want, reproduce the issue, while running the below debugs (and configure the logging):

conf t

no logging console

logging buffered 10000000 deb

service sequence

service time deb date msec

service time log date msec

exit

clear log

debug ephone detail mac-address

debug voip ccapi inout

debug vpm sig

Then reproduce the issue.

Once you've reproduced the issue, do "un all" in CLI to shut off debugging.

To collect the debugs do just like you did when you collected the configs by setting up a new capture and do the below:

term len 0

sho log

Then attach the output.

Please let me know the calling number and the extension that the call went to.

Thanks, -Dave

It only happens when an outside call comes in. Internal calls work fine.

I've never debugged before like this, but I will give it a shot. I imagine it's all done in the telnet window?

Thank you very much again, you've been very helpful.

Hey Steve,

Yeah, through Telnet...like you did before, just log in, configure the buffer configs...then run the debugs and reproduce.

Once you've completed the repro do "un all" from the normal command prompt.

Then to capture the output in a .txt file, set up a capture just like you did before, but do:

term len 0

sho log

This will spit out all the output at once.

Be sure to let me know the calling # and the called extension.

Thanks, -Dave

I was just thinking about this...

All the phones for which I provided you with the MAC address endings ring at once, as we desire. I set up a call blast group to have three ring though. In any event, is it possible that this issue is due to all the phones having their extensions dialed as well as the first line dialed from an outside line? This would make the problem, effectively, that when answering, the worker is picking up their extension, yet the call is on line 1 (or 2 or 3) and so the line button has to be pressed a few times to get out of the extension and into the active called line.

Is something like this possible?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: