Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS is a live 3750 switch

Russell Pearson
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all,

I need to upgrade the ios in three live standalone 3750 switches.

The current ios is c3750-ipbase-mz.122-50.SE2 but I need to upgrade it to support ssh.

I'm thinking about c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-50.SE2.bin. Does that sound right?

So all I need to do is download the new ios and delete the old one, and the switch run configuration will remain the same?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

russeeeeccna wrote:

Hey all,

I need to upgrade the ios in three live standalone 3750 switches.

The current ios is c3750-ipbase-mz.122-50.SE2 but I need to upgrade it to support ssh.

I'm thinking about c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-50.SE2.bin. Does that sound right?

So all I need to do is download the new ios and delete the old one, and the switch run configuration will remain the same?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Yes, if it has k9 in the image name it supports SSH.

Yes you download the new IOS, copy it to flash and then if i was you i would keep the old one temporarily until you have tested the new one. You can tell the switch which one to boot by entering this in your running config

boot system flash flash:/

if it works fine then delete the old one.

Switch config will remain the same.

Obviously you need to reload the switch for it to use the new IOS.

Jon

Thanks for the reply Jon.

I'm alittle nervous because these switches have a fiber connection to the other switches, access points connected and other users connected also.

russeeeeccna wrote:

Thanks for the reply Jon.

I'm alittle nervous because these switches have a fiber connection to the other switches, access points connected and other users connected also.

Well there will be downtime, you can't avoid it because you need to reload your switch one the IOS has been updated. Updating your image, especially if is the same image simply with SSH will not affect the config.

So you need to do the upgrades in a scheduled outage so users are not affected.

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Previous post covers if you are simply copying the .bin file to flash. However if you want to copy the entire directory which contains your .bin file + associated files you will want to look at the archive command -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/command/reference/cli1.html#wp2273183

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: