cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP vs Multilink for Load Balancing

o_unzueta
Level 1
Level 1

I'm planning on implement a solution of VoIP over a 2 parallel WAN links.

Because the bandwidth on both links is less than 512kbps, its important to load balance the traffic between both.

EIGRP its implemented over all the network, so i have the option to use variance to load balance between this links (512kbps and 384kbps)

My second option is tu join both link with MULTILINK.

I want to know which of this options is recomended considering that Data and VoIP will go trought this conection.

Anothe consideration is that i need to implement QoS.

Thanks

Osvaldo U.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Osvaldo,

PPP multilink can give you the capability to perform interleaving to minimize VOIP packets delay and jitter.

So given the low speeds of links would be wise to use PPP multilink.

However, the speeds are different (512 Kbps and 384 kbps) and MLPP cannot handle this. So in this case I would use EIGRP with variance and each interface needs its own QoS settings to provide better treatment to VOIP packet. ( Low Latency Queueing).

The use of Policy Based Routing (PBR) to divert all VOIP traffic to a single link can be considered also.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Osvaldo,

PPP multilink can give you the capability to perform interleaving to minimize VOIP packets delay and jitter.

So given the low speeds of links would be wise to use PPP multilink.

However, the speeds are different (512 Kbps and 384 kbps) and MLPP cannot handle this. So in this case I would use EIGRP with variance and each interface needs its own QoS settings to provide better treatment to VOIP packet. ( Low Latency Queueing).

The use of Policy Based Routing (PBR) to divert all VOIP traffic to a single link can be considered also.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card