Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7911g possibly dead?

thelongmile
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I've been given a 7911g to try to recover at home. since the company inherited them from a company that was going bust (we don't have Call Manager)

The phone does appear to be attempting to talk to dhcp but doesen't seem to be booting, it just has the message light flashing every few seconds with a blank screen, as if there is no firmware on it at all but the fact it' seems to be looking for dhcp - gives me a little hope

I have purchased the cmterm firmware but since I am doing this at home on a windows box, I'm a little confused as to how I might be able to 'tell' the phone to look for the basic firmware. I've downloaded TFTPD, since that also includes a DHCP server, and I've set a number of different values, including setting option 66, but I have to admit I am a newbie to doing this. So far I have changed the .cop extension to tar.gz and extracted the files into the root of the TFTPD server, but so far have not been able to do anything, I can see from TFTPD logs that there is something making dhcp requests from the mac address of the phone.

Is there any way for me to directly connect to the phone and somehow force the firmware onto it?

Just as a side note I have not done any form of configuring, I've simply extracted the firmware files and that's it.

I appriciate this is a slightly 'dumb' post, since I've never done this before or even touched a tftpd server, it's part of a home project for me to learn config files and start learning the way cisco do things in preperation for the future, but I would very much appriciate any help you can give me. My goal here is to just get the phone back to a working state and then start writing the config files to get it to work with sipgate or asterisk, since there are a few guides for that already.

Many thanks for any help you can give me

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to set option 150 on the DHCP server to be the IP address of the TFTP server. Also make sure to specify the default router. You should then see the phone query the TFTP server for the firmware files.

-Felipe

View solution in original post

dconstantino
Level 4
Level 4

I agree with the latter post. Make sure the firm ware is on you TFTP server and it supports the G phones.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Felipe Garrido
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to set option 150 on the DHCP server to be the IP address of the TFTP server. Also make sure to specify the default router. You should then see the phone query the TFTP server for the firmware files.

-Felipe

dconstantino
Level 4
Level 4

I agree with the latter post. Make sure the firm ware is on you TFTP server and it supports the G phones.

Many thanks all, I shall give that a go when I get home, just for reference the contents of the extracted .cop file are as follows

apps11.1-1-1-17.sbn

cnu11.3-1-1-17.sbin

copstart.sh

cvm11sip.8-0-1-20.sbin

dsp11.1-1-1-17.sbn

jar11sip.8-0-1-20.sbn

load307.txt

SIP11.8-0-2SR2S.loads

term11.default.loads

Is there anything else I should have in here? Just to get this to boot, provisioning comes later of course

And just in reference again, the SFTPD32 application has the option for me to point to a load file, should I actually point to something in here or just let the phone do the work?

Many thanks once again, I'm sure you'll be sick of me when it comes to provisioning!

Many many thanks everyone, I've managed to recover the firmware using the advice from both of yourselves.

For reference and if anyone else is searching for help here is what I did to bring the firmware back

Directly connect Windows box to the Cisco phone and set a fixed IP on the Windows machine, I used 192.168.1.108 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 and gateway of 192.168.1.1

Placed the cisco firmware into a folder in the root of the C drive, I installed and ran TFTPD32 (make sure your firewalls are turned off and in my case I needed to disable all ethernet adapters including the vmware adapters)

In settings of TFTPD32 I set the following values

Base directory to the directory where the cisco firmware is

Under Global Settings I had only the following options set

TFTP Server, Syslog Server and DHCP server, leave all other options off

Under DHCP options I set

Ping address before assignation to on, and persistant leases to on

TFTP Security to 'Standard'

TFTP Configuration as follows

Timeout 3

Max Retransmit 6

Tftp port 69

Local ports pool is blank

Advanced TFTP options had only the following items checked

Option Negotiation

Show Progress Bar

Translate Unix File Names

Bind TFTP to this address (you might want to have your ethernet cable plugged into the phone at this stage and the power on so you can set it to the same address as the fixed IP you set earlier

Click OK - you might need to restart TFTPD32

From here I restarted TFTP32D and click on DHCP Server tab

The following values were set

IP Pool starting address (set this to be in the same range as your fixed IP, in my case I started at 192,168.1.100)

Size of pool = 10 (you might need to increase this range if your phone is looking for something beyond the range)

Boot file is blank

WINS/DNS Server (set this to the same IP as your fixed IP)

Default Router (set this to the same IP as your fixed IP)

Mask (255.255.255.0)

Domain Name - Blank

Additional options (in the first box set this to 150 and leave the next box blank)

Click Save

From here you are ready to go. If your phone has it's power plugged in unplug it now, otherwise plugin your phone whilst holding down the hash key and keep that held down until your handset light starts to flash repeatedly, as soon as it's done this, let go. You might want to wait about 30 seconds for TFTPD32 to catch up with the network adapter state

Once you've left TFTPD32 catch up, on your phone type 123456789*0# and then wait, in my case the phone and server appeared to do nothing for a long time, so I left it and came back to it 20 mins later and the firmware is back on the phone. Hopefully this helps for future people in distress!

---

Ok next up is provisioning (I did warn you guys!)

Thanks again for the help

Hi Mark..

Thanks for your solution.. it works for me...

best regards....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: