cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

mft t1 separate carriers

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

Have never run into this before.  Have a customer with existing PRI for voice and just

added a point to point connection with the 2nd mft t1 to support remote location.  The clock is being

derived from the PRI side.  The data  T1 will not stay up due to the enormous amount of slips.

A. I thought maybe in point to point you had to change clock internal but that doesn't seem to mean anything on these controllers. You can enter the command but it doesn't change anything.

B. Do I have to remove everything and run as independent clock. If so do I have to do it on both controllers and do I still have clock participate?

thx again.

1 Reply 1

alanssie
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

> Have never run into this before.

Then you must be a lucky person :-)

>  Have a customer with existing PRI for voice and just

> added a point to point connection with the 2nd mft t1 to support remote location.  The clock is being

> derived from the PRI side.  The data  T1 will not stay up due to the enormous amount of slips.

>A. I thought maybe in point to point you had to change clock internal but that doesn't seem to mean anything on these controllers. You can enter the >command but it doesn't change anything.

Only if no Telco in between, if a telco  is providing it, that does not make sense
I assume that the link is supported via a Telco hence you should first see if they provide clocking on it, most do
but some don't

Once you know where the clock can be derive from you set both the controller ( local remote) accordingly
if Telco provide the clock
both local and remote to clock line
If not clock is provided one should be line, the other internal

With you current platform I suppose a 28xx or 38xx you have an internal clock, or you can draw the clock from one
of the hwic/wic that support this (hence from another Telco)

Once you have selected a clock the entire chassis will be using it, except if you have a 2nd generation wic/hwic that
support independent clocking for e1/t1

Clocking all your T1/E1 with a unique clock is not recommended if you get lines from different telco as generally
the clock is not identical, hence resulting in slip/line code violation ...

To take your example
-------------------------------
    If same telco
    -------------------
        use the network clock select for both line (eventually after the fixing the second one)
        clock should be unique so it shouldn't  cause any issues

If different Telco
    ---------------------------
    Pretty much stuck if 1st generation card probably you will end up bald after spending few nights with no improvement
     in the decrease of the line code violation, maybe even the violation will become the final solution .:-)

If you have the 2nd generation VWIC2 or HWIC you have several chooses, clock both cards as independent, in this case
    they both will draw the clock separately and should not care about the chassis clock
    you can chose the PRI to clock the chassis (using network-select ...an clock line on controller), use the other as independent
    or finally the 2nd clocking the chassis and the first independent, although if you do voice on the PRI, you better no do that
    as it will soon end up is an incomprehensible insult from your manager

if 1st telco-pri, 2nd black wire (no clock on it)
        set first T1 (PRI) network-select
               ===> clock chassis

set second T1 internal
               remote set for line
        or set second T1 independent
               remote set for internal

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card