Views
Helpful
Replies

Apple Bonjour, Wide-Area Bonjour and mDNS Questions

james-worley
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Firstly I've been playing with Cisco and Windoz for over 10 years and thought I knew a thing or two about networking. Recently I replaced all my Windoz machines with Apple OS X 10.6. Unfortunately for me none of my knowledge to date is on OS X and has proved to be none transferable.

• The network is Multicast enabled with PIM-Space-Dense, MSDP Anycast RPs. There are no firewalls or active filtering.
  • The OS X servers are running Snow Leopard Server 10.6.4
  • The Clients are running Snow Leopard 10.6.4

The Problem:

I want to be able run Bonjour between subnets, separated by a routed core, to provide printer sharing.

I've read that Bonjour uses the Multicast group 224.0.0.251 on UDP port 5353. So I tried to 'ip forward-protocol udp 5353' but this did not work. I also tried 'ip directed-broadcast' with an ACL to match 224.0.0.251 and this did not work either. Then I remembered that addresses in the 224/8 range are specified as link local and should therefore have a TTL of 1 so routing between domains won't be possible?? Right??

So, I moved on to explore Wide-Area Bonjour with mDNS and found that this also uses the same 224.0.0.251:5353 address. I don't understand how this work or can I get it to work. I'm not sure I understand what is needed in the SVR DNS records.

Has anyone been able to get Bonjour services working between subnets?

2 Replies 2

machilfe.ch
Level 1
Level 1

It's a very long time, since you did start this discussion.

Did you get any answers?

If so, could you let me know the outcome, as I have the same problems with my SA520W.

Regards and thank you for your replay.

Thomas

Hi,

I am starting to look more into this, as we have few second gen Apple TV's and would like to have our iPhones/iPads AirPlay to them. Of Course those devices are on different subnets.

I found guide:

Using Bonjour Across Subnets

http://www.grouplogic.com/Knowledge/PDFUpload/Info/WanBonjour_1.pdf

I'm still in the process of reading and researching, however if someone has found a better or easier solution, or has made a simple guide. Please let me know.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco