cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RADIUS Server Software

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

Hi, can anyone recommend a RADIUS software solution other than Cisco ACS that is easy to install, robust and comes with a GUI?

I like ACS a lot,but i have a client who does not want to use it for whatever reason.

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Victor

Linux -

http://freeradius.org/download.html

has a web interface for configuring users/groups etc.

Windows -

Microsoft IAS

Jon

Thanks, buddy...

Have you ever used any of these products?

The client wants something simple....

lamav wrote:

Thanks, buddy...

Have you ever used any of these products?

The client wants something simple....

Not in anger to be honest. I've used IAS in a test lab and it worked well enough as long as you are not trying to use any Cisco specific attributes.

FreeRadius is highly spoken of and as long as you are happy running Linux it would probably be the one i would use but then i did used to be a Unix admin so i may be biased. From what i read the server config does not have a GUI for it so you edit the actual config file. But the server config shouldn't change that much and as i say there is a web frontend for user management etc.

Jon

What do you mean "not in anger"?

The purpose of this RADIUS server is to be the backend of a dot1x solution that will authenticate users based on MAC-address.

Thanks

Victor

Not in anger simply means i haven't used it in a production environment ie. i have only it in lab setups. Both IAS and Free Radius are capable of doing mac-address authentication but you may want to keep this thread open to get any feedback from others who may have deployed it in production.

Jon

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've used Funk RADIUS in the past and it was proven to be reliable and easy to configure with a GUI.

Actually, there is documentation on the matter at the Cisco website - such as this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_configuration_example09186a00801c9520.shtml

Regards,

Edison

Edison, how the heck have you been, man??? Long time, buddy....

Thanks for the info...interesting, though...didnt Juniper buy Funk's RADIUS software and started branding it as Junipers in 2006? Or were they just OEMing it from Funk, in which case Funk allowed others to OEM?..?

Juniper bought Funk. Not sure about their OEM strategy but Oddesy client is widely used on many enterprises and it was coupled with the old Funk Software.

I'm doing very well Victor and I hope you are doing well too

Glad to hear youre doing well.

Yeah, that sinteresting because Funk's Odyssey and SBR products are still being referred to as Funk Sotware products, not Juniper...its like a marriage where the woman keeps her maiden name..lol

Name recognition

Same as we are doing with the LinkSys

products

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: