1242G and HWIC-AP-G-A client association name = hostname?

Unanswered Question
Sep 18th, 2010

Hello,

I am getting some wireless access setup on my network and noticed that the command "show dot11 associations" is displaying the hostname of the wireless access point or router rather than the actual clients name.  Should'nt it be displaying the name of the client or nothing if it cannot determine the name of the client?

From an AP1242G-A hostname MYWAP:
MYWAP# show dot11 assoc
802.11 Client Stations on Dot11Radio0:

SSID [MYSSID] :

MAC Address    IP address      Device        Name            Parent         State
####.####:#### xx.x.xx.x       ccx-client    MYWAP         self           EAP-Assoc

2811 + HWIC-AP-G-A hostname SPARE:
SPARE# show dot11 assoc
802.11 Client Stations on Dot11Radio0/3/0:

SSID [MYSSID] :

MAC Address    IP address      Device        Name            Parent         State
####.####.#### xx.x.xx.xx      4500-radio    SPARE           self           EAP-Assoc

I have tried several versions of IOS 12.4T and 15.1T they all have the same behavior.  Is there anything that can be done to get them to display either the actual clients name or nothing at all?  I dont like them displaying the access point hostname.

This makes our wireless monitoring software a little confusing when you see a client associated that contains the same name as the hostname of the access point the client is connected to.

Thanks.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion