Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing Supervisor Engine From Catalyst 4507

Hi all.. I had a catalyst 4507 switch which had two supervisor engines one acting as active and other acting as standby. Now I got another 4507 switch which am going to use as a redundant core switch by configuring HSRP, But this core switch doesnt have any supervisor and so i was planning to remove the standby supervisor from my old 4507 switch and insert in the new switch. So i want to know what are steps i should follow for the removal of the standby supervisor from a working switch?. Can i shut down the standby supervisor alone and remove it from the core switch or i have to shut down the whole core switch. Please help me on this.. thanks

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi SHABEEB,

Even though the Sup module is hot swappable and you should not need to shutdown the switch, I would still have an outage window to remove the stand-by Sup, because you never know what can go wrong.

Good Luck,

Reza

Thanks Reza for the reply. But i want to know the steps that we need to follow to remove a standby supervisor from a running switch?.. Please help me.

Shabeeb

First step - check the redundancy mode in the switch with two supervisor engines

switch# show redundancy

Redundant System Information :
------------------------------
Available system uptime = 2 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes
Switchovers system experienced = 0
Standby failures = 0
Last switchover reason = none
Hardware Mode = Duplex
Configured Redundancy Mode = Stateful Switchover
Operating Redundancy Mode = Stateful Switchover
Maintenance Mode = Disabled
Communications = Up
Current Processor Information :
-------------------------------
Active Location = slot 1
Current Software state = ACTIVE
Uptime in current state = 2 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes
Image Version = Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I5S-M), Version 12.2(20)EWA(3
.92), CISCO INTERNAL USE ONLY ENHANCED PRODUCTION VERSION
Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 14-Jul-04 04:42 by esi
BOOT = bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122_20_EWA_392,1
Configuration register = 0x2002
Peer Processor Information :
----------------------------
Standby Location = slot 2
Current Software state = STANDBY HOT
Uptime in current state = 2 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes
Image Version = Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-I5S-M), Version 12.2(20)EWA(3
.92), CISCO INTERNAL USE ONLY ENHANCED PRODUCTION VERSION
Copyright (c) 1986-2004 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 14-Jul-04 0
BOOT = bootflash:cat4000-i5s-mz.122_20_EWA_392,1
Configuration register = 0x2002

Switch#

This shows the switch is in SSO (Stateful Switch Over) mode. The other mode the redundancy might be in is RPR (don't remember what that one stands for, sorry).

To disable the redundancy, it's simply a matter of turning it off

Switch# configure terminal

Switch(config)# no redundancy

Switch(config)# end

Switch#

Run the "show redundancy" command again, verify the supervisors are not redundant, and then you should just be able to pull the second one out (they support hot-swap) and put it into your second switch.

Bear in mind that the second supervisor will have a copy of the original switch's configuration on it (assuming it was properly synchronised), and will need to have the startup configuratione rased and re-done before you put the new switch into service.

Cheers.

Hi Darren,

Your reply is a good source of information, it was really amazing reply.

But i have one question, i guess it should not be advisable to remove your redundancy from your core switch? But still if one wants to have such senarios, is it safe to run with? is there any impact on the performance of the switch?

Regards,

Hardik

Hardik

That really comes down to how mission critical your 4500 series switches are to your business.

If the business you are in demands 24x7 uptime (or a close facisimilie thereof), then you really can't afford to run without a redundant supervisor engine.

If, on the other hand, saving some money at the risk of some downtime is more important, then there's no reason not to - but I'd be *very* sure I had a decent support contract - at the minimum 8x4xNBD - so you can be guaranteed of replacement parts in the event of failure.

If you have a valid support contract, Cisco pretty much guarantees spare parts are available - if, on the other hand, you have to purchase a replacement Supervisor engine in the event one goes bad, then you can wait up to 6 weeks for replacement parts to be built/shipped.

As far as performance goes - no, there's no issue - the switch runs in an active/standby configuration with two supervisor engines anyway, so the second one doesn't really *do* anything unless the primary fails, or you manually failover tot he secondary (during a software upgrade, for example). and safe? well, the switch is designed to run on one supervisor engine - it comes down to risk analysis and what your business is prepared to pay to alleviate risk.

Personally, if it's a "core" switch or router, I won't run without as much redundancy as I can put in - redundant supervisors, redundant power suppleis running off seperate breakers (and phases if I can), sufficient port capacity to cover for a total line card failure if I can manage it - but a lot of business aren't prepared to pay for that kind of risk aversion, so you often have to compromise.

All you can do is present your boss the options and say "This is the risk of either options'. It's *his* (or her) job to make those calls.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco