Views
Helpful
Replies

Where to apply PBR, L3 EtherChannel or on Physical Ports of the etherchannel

Mike Masalla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

the issue is supposedly so simple, if I have two layer-3 capable switches to try what I am about to do in a lab enviroment before I apply it at the customer site. I am about to apply IP Policy Route-map in a Core switch. The issue is, the interface I am applying the policy to, is a Layer-3 EtherChannel composed of 2 10-G each port.

My question is, whether I should apply the policy to the Etherchannel or to the individual ports participating in the etherchannel.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

L3 port, you shouldn't see the option to config PBR on a L2 port.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Lei

But if it's a L3 etherchannel wouldn't the individual ports be L3 as well ie. "no switchport" ?

Mike

Never done it but i would think you only need to apply it on the L3 port-channel interface.

Jon

Yes, Jon you are right. I was thinking L2 port-channel and PBR on SVI.

Mike,

What platform are you using? In general, you should apply PBR on the port-channel interface, not physical interface.

Regards,

Lei Tian

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Is the port-channel interface be the up-link port for your traffic? The PBR is effective when the interface you are applying to is accepting the traffic and is making routing decision for you.

Regards,

NT

Thank you all.

Clarification:-

1.- The physical ports are routing ports (no switchport access).

2.- The IP address of the port-channel interface is the one participating in the routing process.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: