Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

voicemail message quality issue

I'm experiencing a voicemail message recording issue.  I am getting what I've seen described in cisco documents as 'robotic voice' or 'synthetic voice' for many messages being recorded.  I thought it  might have something to do with the fxo port gain, but I've experienced this even with a voip call via a sip provider.

I have 2 spa400 and a spa9k. I can replicate the problem by connecting in via AA and then to VMM.  then sending a message to a voicemailbox from within the 4K.  Any thoughts on this? I can leave message after message on the same call-in, and some have the issue and some don't.  Any thoughts? -Don

5 Replies 5

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Don;

This is typically caused by two issues:

(1) Network QoS issues, check the switch QoS settings to see everythings is ok, and also estimate the network load, to see if the LAN load may be too high. Way to overcome this further is to use VLANs but this implies a full network redesign (not recommended)

(2) SPA400 overload. One way to overcome this is to install the G.711 voicemail prompts instead of the G.729, as the former requires less processing. Of course SPA400 overload happens when there are multiple users accessing Voicemail or using PSTN.

Hope this helps

Alberto

Thanks. I don't think its traffic or a qos issue from looking at stats, etc.  I'm interested in switching the prompts.  I've seen another thread on the topic, and it references your USB rebuild procedure.  My questions is: how do I switch to the uncompressed prompts? Is it as simple as removing the .gsm files from the 'sounds' directory or is there another procedure thread you can point me at?  Thanks Alberto.  -Don

Alberto: How would I go about using the uncompressed prompts?  Do I remove the .gsm files or is there something you can point me to about this? Thanks -Don

Hi Don;

Sorry for the delay responding. Process is as simple as changing the .gsm prompts with the .pcm prompts. This relax the processing of the SPA400.

Regards;
Alberto

Thanks.  I do not show a 1:1 relationship between PCM and GSM files...there are more .gsm files on the usb key vs. PCM files.  Do I simply delete all the .gsm files?  Is there a way I can get access to an archive of the PCM files so I'm sure I have the right ones?  If yes, would I simply drop those on teh USB key and remove all .gsm files in that directory or just the ones with teh same name as the .PCM files? Thanks much.