Views
Helpful
Replies

UCCX Terminate Step

ahochau_2
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I was once told that any script that begins with accepting a contact **MUST** end with a terminate.  Is that true?

Thanks,

Mark

4 Replies 4

ahochau_2
Level 1
Level 1

Found my own answer in the course book.  Yes, I need a terminate step.

There's is no requirement that you must Terminate a contact, or that the step simply has to exist in the script.

Take a look at this completely valid example:

start

on exception contact inactive exception goto contact inactive

play greeting

menu choices:

1 - hours and directions

play hours and directions

2 - specials

play specials

timeout

play i did not receive a response

unsuccessull

play that is an invalid choice

goto menu choices

contact inactive:

end

or this one:

start

play greeting

menu choices

1 - billing

set transfer = 1000

2 - sales

set transfer = 2000

3 - support

set transfer = 3000

timeout

set transfer = 0

unsuccessful

set transfer = 0

call redirect to transfer

successful

busy

invalid

unsuccessfull

end

We can simply use 'end' to end the script here.  If the caller was successfully transferred, the contact is no longer active, so 'end' is appropriate.  If the caller failed to transfer, e.g., busy, invalid, unsuccessful, ending the script without terminating the contact leads to a contact inactive exception being thrown and the default script executing.  which in many cases is simply a call redirect to "system problems".

So combining your examples with the information from the course book it looks like answer is a "Should" not a "Must"?

It's "could."

Some IVR's are designed to not hangup on callers, but instead, wait for callers to hangup on it.  If that is the case, then you don't need a terminate step.

So the answer is "could" rather than "must" or "should."  At that point you may as well delete the sentence from the book.  Because any step "could" be in the script.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: