cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help please... spa400/9000 pstn Dial out delay & error

nenemc
Level 1
Level 1

Having trouble with my setup to dial out through pstn. My setup should be very simple, 1 line pstn, no itsp setup, 2-spa962's, 1-spa942.  The internal network/phones can page and talk to each other with no problem with no delays.  Problem is when I dial out through pstn:      when I pick up the handset I have immediate dial tone. However, if I do not dial the numbers quickly, after the last digit is entered, the call connected timer starts counting up on the phone screen, then there seems to be about a 3 - 5 second silent delay before the first ring is heard, and then I get the dreaded error from the phone company " the number you have called cannot be completed as dialed, please check the area code and number or dial 411 for directory assistance." If the first ring doesn't start before about 6 seconds on the timer is showing, it almost never goes through.  If I dial the digits quickly, it almost always connects before 5 seconds are showing on the timer and the call goes through, however there is still a mild delay before the first ring is heard, longer than if I just dialed out via regular old phone line. Also, the standard telco lines work great, no problems, so I know it is something with my set-up. What is changed be dialing the digits quickly?  I have tried to configure my system so I do not have to dial 9 to get out, don't know if this is a problem or not.  Here are some of settings:  Call routing rule: (<:L1>xxx.) Phone Dial Plan: ([2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|1[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|[1-8]xx|[3469]11S0) Dial Plan: (xx.)  I know there are different long and short timers, don't know if there is a setting from the first time I pick up the phone to when the last digit is entered? Or how I can make it connect more quickly as I already have S0 at the end of the string?    Any help greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Alberto Montilla
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Nevin;

Can you please let me know what is the number you are trying to dial?

The issue may be caused by two different root causes. Let me know the number.

Regards
Alberto

Hi, and thanks for your prompt help, is greatly appreciated, when these frustrating things pop up. Most numbers I am dialing are local, I am in Canada, and am required to dial 10 digit local numbers eg. 403-xxx-xxxx and then the odd long distance number 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.  I tried changing the dialing strings back to including the " 9, "  to get dial tone to get out, but that didn't help either.  After I press nine, there is a different dial tone, and the local telco error message changes to "you've dialed a number to which long distance charges apply, to reach this number first dial 1 or 0 and then the area code". The previous error message when I didnt have the "9," dial string was" the number you have called cannot be completed as dialed, please check the area code and number or dial 411 for directory assistance." I thought it was that I had to dial quickly, but now am not so sure, as it appears pretty random whteher it goes through or not.  When the phone says "calling" and then immediately connects and you hear ringing then it almost always goes through, but if there is any lag between the last digit dialed and then the "connected" notice to the first audicle ring, then it often does not go through and the error message is heard. I also tried increasing the short and long digit timers to 20 secs, but that didn't help either. Thanks for your help.

Dear Sir;

(Sorry for the delayed response)

Looks like there is a timing conflict on what you dial. Suggest you use the following dial plan

If you want to dial the 9 key

Call routing rule (<:L1>9xxx.)

Phone Dial Plan:  (9,[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|9,1[2-9]xxxxxxxxxS0|[1-8]xxS0|9,[3469]11S0)

Dial Plan: (<9:>xx.)

Make sure the phone dial plan is  configured on the SPA9000 [SIP] tab  instead of the phone directly

nenemc@yahoo.com

Hi, and thanks for your prompt help, is greatly appreciated, when these frustrating things pop up.

Most numbers I am dialing are local, I am in Canada, and am

required to dial 10 digit local numbers eg. 403-xxx-xxxx

and then the odd long distance number 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I tried changing the dialing strings back to including the " 9, "  to get dial tone to get out, but that didn't help either.

After I press nine, there is a different dial tone, and the local telco error message changes to "you've dialed a number to which long distance charges apply, to reach this number first dial 1 or 0 and then the area code".

The previous error message when I didnt have the "9," dial string was" the number you have called cannot be completed as dialed, please check the area code and number or dial 411 for directory assistance."

I thought it was that I had to dial quickly, but now am not so sure, as it appears pretty random whteher it goes through or not.

When the phone says "calling" and then immediately connects and you hear ringing then it almost always goes through, but if there is any lag between the last digit dialed and then the "connected" notice to the first audicle ring, then it often does not go through and the error message is heard. I also tried increasing the short and long digit timers to 20 secs, but that didn't help either. Thanks for your help.

Hi Alberto, just wondering if you received my response to your question below?  Ten digit local numbers are who we call mostly.  Thanks in advance.