cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP Via Telnet keeps timing out

jsandau
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upload an IOS upgrade for a Cisoc 1811 router via tftp through telnet. The upgrade isn't overly large (approx. 24 MB) but the connection to the tftp server keeps timing out in less than 5 minutes after connecting. The error I get in the telnet window is: "%error reading from //*tftp server address*/*IOS update.bin* (connection timed out)". After I get the error I have to close the telnet window and disconnect from the VPN, I am managing the router remotely and need to VPN into it (using SSL VPN/AnyConnect), reconnect the VPN and then reestablish the Telnet connection. I have talked to Cisco's tech support and they had indicated that doing this process remotely wouldn't be a problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
3 Replies 3

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The router doesn't care how you're logged into the router when transfering the file.  It only cares that it has a path to get to the tftp server.  Does your transfer ever actually get started? (you would see "!" scroll across the screen).  If so, does it always terminate at the same time in the transfer?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For whatever reason TFTPD32 worked. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco