Hosts on same switch cannot see each other

Unanswered Question
Sep 20th, 2010

Greetings,

On our Cisco 2960-POE switch - connected hosts can see the switch VLAN IP, can get to and from both the corporate network (VPN) and Internet (split-tunnel) -  but cannot see each other.  We can ping one attached PC and an attached printer from the switch - but the PC can ping the printer.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
iholdings Mon, 09/20/2010 - 12:46

Thanks for the prompt reply

The deafult-gateway on both devices is the IP address of the local firewall (192.168.3.1).

If we cross-connect the "old" switch (not sure of make/model) to the 2960 - and plug the printer into that switch - the hosts on the 2960 can see the printer.

This is the first time I've ever encountered this loss of intra-switch connectivity.

Thanks.

iholdings Tue, 09/21/2010 - 05:00

I guess that's possible - but I haven't seen any ports restricted or shutdown based on any policy violations.  They simply will not talk to each other across the switchports.

Am I better off setting the switch back to factory and reconfigure?  We are in a VoIP environment on that network - so I've been assigning roles IP Phone + Desktop for those ports where that's applicable.  Could that be the problem?

Thanks.

milan.kulik Tue, 09/21/2010 - 05:10

Hi,

as the first step, I'd simply identify the ports to which that PC and printer are connected.

Let's say those are ports  FastEthernet0/8 and FastEthernet0/9.

Then I'd simply:

conf t

interface FastEthernet0/8
no switchport protected
interface FastEthernet0/9
no switchport protected

and test if you can Ping between those two devices connected.

HTH,

Milan

chabasimon Tue, 09/21/2010 - 05:12

A) You can configure data Vlan for Desktops cause i can only see the voice vlan.

B) You default gateway of your Hosts, shoud be your Vlan IP address, which for vlan1 is 192.168.3.253.

sure

Actions

This Discussion