Views
Helpful
Replies

Hosts on same switch cannot see each other

iholdings
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

On our Cisco 2960-POE switch - connected hosts can see the switch VLAN IP, can get to and from both the corporate network (VPN) and Internet (split-tunnel) -  but cannot see each other.  We can ping one attached PC and an attached printer from the switch - but the PC can ping the printer.

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the default-gateway on the connected hosts ?

Jon

Thanks for the prompt reply

The deafult-gateway on both devices is the IP address of the local firewall (192.168.3.1).

If we cross-connect the "old" switch (not sure of make/model) to the 2960 - and plug the printer into that switch - the hosts on the 2960 can see the printer.

This is the first time I've ever encountered this loss of intra-switch connectivity.

Thanks.

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I guess your problem could be caused by

switchport protected

command used on your access ports.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swtrafc.html#wp1175133

for details.

HTH,

Milan

I guess that's possible - but I haven't seen any ports restricted or shutdown based on any policy violations.  They simply will not talk to each other across the switchports.

Am I better off setting the switch back to factory and reconfigure?  We are in a VoIP environment on that network - so I've been assigning roles IP Phone + Desktop for those ports where that's applicable.  Could that be the problem?

Thanks.

Hi,

as the first step, I'd simply identify the ports to which that PC and printer are connected.

Let's say those are ports  FastEthernet0/8 and FastEthernet0/9.

Then I'd simply:

conf t

interface FastEthernet0/8
no switchport protected
interface FastEthernet0/9
no switchport protected

and test if you can Ping between those two devices connected.

HTH,

Milan

A) You can configure data Vlan for Desktops cause i can only see the voice vlan.

B) You default gateway of your Hosts, shoud be your Vlan IP address, which for vlan1 is 192.168.3.253.

sure

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco