cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRP400: two issues

ur17-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

1. The WLAN stops working every few days. In particular my laptop does not get an IP address up to the point that I am forced to reboot the router to make it work.

The WLAN is encrypted with a WPA2 Personal, TKIP+AES.

2. NNTP (Newsgroups) connection most of the times do not work: my usenet client connects to the server, gets the messages list, but when I click on each  message nothing happens (see attachment: it is a log generate by the client, Thunderbird). This happens most of the times. Sometimes rebooting the router helps, sometimes it works spontaneously.

I have tried a different client, I have tried from a different computer: same issue. I have connected my computer bypassing the WRP400: the issue disappears.

I have done a reset and I have reinstalled the latest firmware: the issue persists.

4 Replies 4

ur17-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

At least I have managed to resolve issue number 2: in the very first page of the router I set MTU to "Manual" and its size to 576. Now every site and every NNTP connection work now.

In case somebody from Cisco wonders what the cause might be, it is to be noted that my WRP400 is connected to a cable internet modem Motorola Surfboard SB5101E. So the fact that the default "Automatic" parameter does not work might suggest that the two devices do not "talk" correctly to each other. Although it is not clear whose fault it is, if the router's or the modem's...

Still issue number 1 (the network connectivity that stops from time to time obliging me to reboot the router) is still there... And it is not only the WLAN, but also the LAN and the VOIP that stop working at the same time.

I hope somebody will help me on this...

qumartin
Level 1
Level 1

To answer issue number one it is not recommended to use WPA2 Personal Mixed. I would recomend that you should select TKIP or AES not both. The most secure one would be the AES but not all device will work with is security setting. So if you are having problem with any device connectiong with the AES only you have two options. Option one is to upgrade the wireless adapter on the device. Option two is to set the wireless security to use TKIP only. This should help I have notice that when anyone is using both that they have allot of disconnect problems.

I have changed the wifi encryption as you suggested, but the issue persists.

If I can solve the issue just by changing the wifi router settings, I will certainly try all the possible combinations, but my feeling is that the issue is caused by something else: in fact not only the WLAN but all the four network interfaces of the WRP400 (LAN, WLAN, WAN and Phone) stop working at the same time.

If you look at the attached files, the RgEventLog.asp.htm (which is from the Motorola cable modem) and the nas-log.csv (which is from a NAS attached to an Ethernet port of the router), they both show that LAN and WAN went down more or less at the same time (2010-12-19 11:55:29 on the modem log, one minute later on the NAS). And my laptop lost its WLAN connection, and the phone did not have the dial tone anymore. Until I power cycled the router.

The WRP400 has in the "Voice" part the possibility to send the events to a syslog collector. Can it be done for the "Router" part as well? Or if I do it from the "Voice" part, would that be useful to do some troubleshooting?

Is there anything else that I can do to help you to help me?

I was having problem that it was disconnecting me from time to time (several times a day) for one -two seconds. It was because WRP400 has performance problems when replying for SIP attacks. Setting "Restrict source" helped for wireless, but i'm still having problems with hanging phone conversation from time to time. Unfortunetly Cisco cannot fix the problem for 100%. See thread WRP400 stops responding after browsing certain websites.

Thanks, Tomasz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: