Views
Helpful
Replies

Lan design

soumik1979
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

I am a network administrator of a small firm having around 120 users.We are shifting to a new office soon.I am planning the lan with 10 2960 and a 3750 switch.The users applications are

1)Users will acces some file server

2)Internal web server Web server

3)Internet and mail users

I shall divide the entire employee into 5 groups

Now i have some questions.

1)The servers will be connecr to 3750 or in a 2960 switch, which will be better.

2)Internet connection will connect to 3750 or 2960

3)My management wants at some portions of the building there should be wireless lan.It will work as a back up .Now how the uplink of the wireless lan will be connected to wired lan.If each access points has an ip then a separate valn is required the access points.

Please help me .If you want any more feedback plz let me know....

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

soumik1979 wrote:

Dear All

I am a network administrator of a small firm having around 120 users.We are shifting to a new office soon.I am planning the lan with 10 2960 and a 3750 switch.The users applications are

1)Users will acces some file server

2)Internal web server Web server

3)Internet and mail users

I shall divide the entire employee into 5 groups

Now i have some questions.

1)The servers will be connecr to 3750 or in a 2960 switch, which will be better.

2)Internet connection will connect to 3750 or 2960

3)My management wants at some portions of the building there should be wireless lan.It will work as a back up .Now how the uplink of the wireless lan will be connected to wired lan.If each access points has an ip then a separate valn is required the access points.

Please help me .If you want any more feedback plz let me know....

1) In a "traditional" design you would connect the servers to an access switch ie. a 2960 in your case. However it depends on throughput/amount of traffic between clients and servers. It may be a better solution to simply connect the servers directly into your 3750 that way you do not have to go from client 2960 to 3750 and down to server 2960 especially as the uplinks between the 2960s and 3750 could be a bottleneck.

Ideally you want to dual hone the servers ie. have 2 NICs and use 2 3750 switches in a stack and connect each server to each 3750 but your budget may not allow this.

2) Internet connection should be connected to the 3750 but hopefully you are going to have a firewall between the internet and your 3750 ie.

2960(s) -> 3750 -> Firewall -> Internet

so the 3750 should be connected to a firewall not directly to the internet.

3) Not sure exactly what you mean. Ideally you want separate vlans for your wireless users. The APs themselves may have a management address and you could use a separate subnet for management addressing of all your network devices.

Jon

Dear Jon

Thanks for your responce.If I connect all my servers in 3750 , it will take 20 port(10 Server, each has 2 NIC).Now 10  no. 2960  needs 10 port in 3750.I need more ports for internet also.As our organization is not so big, it is really difficult for me to install two 3750.Even I am unable to implement hsrp.That I will do in future .My question is that if I connect all the server in 2960 and bundle two ports of 2960 with two ports of 3750, will  it work ?Will it reduce the bottleneck???

2)We have some external server and external IP devices.Right now the design is  

Router---- catalystswitch -----External Servers and IP devices

|                                                            

|                                                           

|

Cyberoam UTM device(With static IP)

|

|

Lan internet and mail users

How this can be done???Please help me regarding that .

3)For my third question about wireless.Suppose my LAN ip is and 192.168.0.0/24 .The ip address of wireless AP is 192.168.0.125.It is in forth  floor and the server room is at first floor.Now The uplink for the access point will coneect to which switch?.Forth floor 2960 or server room 3750.???If i want to put all AP in vlan 6 and I want that the users of VLAN  3, 4 2, will connect to AP, will it possible??

4)We have another branch which is connected by leased line.From HQ end router I want to connect it to  3750.Is is good design??

5)The last question , We have a short range branch with is connected to HQ by OFC.The media convetor  has gigabyte out.This branch has unmanaged network , and I want it to connect to 3750 .

Please help me .If you want any more feedback plz let me know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: