Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change the management Vlan for SLM2048

habeebuddin786
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks

We bought a new SLM2048 for the new sales department in our organization, this need to be connected to the network to one of the core switch. We have to creat the new vlan for the new sales department say as vlan 8 on core with svi say 10.0.8.1 /24. after this I need to put the port gig2/32 on core switch in access vlan 8 and connect to the switch SLM2048 on port 1. First I changed the IP address of SLM2048 from default to 10.0.8.10 and then got access by changing my laptop Ip address to the same subnet 10.0.8.11 and able to get access then created the vlan 8 in slm2048 and tagged the port 1 to vlan 8. But as soon as I changed the management vlan from 1 to 8 it disconnects and am not able to ping the ip 10.0.8.10. Please suggest how to make slm2048 accessible to the network with the above requirement.

Thanks

Ahmed

5 Replies 5

mariusvw
Level 1
Level 1

Have you found any solution to change the management vlan?

I'm having the same issue here.

Too bad I still have no asnwer from Cisco about this issue, so our plans changed to another brand. We trashed the Cisco switch for our company since we couldn't get it up and running how it should.

Jonathancert_2
Level 1
Level 1

After you have done all the steps you listed, what is the results if you do a "sho ip int bri" command?  Does it show vlan 8 up/up?

Jonathan,

This switch has no ssh/telnet support... This is a solution that I used before on switches with the support:

As soon as you remove the IP address from VLAN1 (running config) you'd lose your connection.

However, here's a trick and tip to overcome this:

tip: issue command "reload in [number of seconds] to restore the original config if you mess up.

Trick: type the commands into a text editor (notepad) and save them as a file, e.g.

interface vlan 1
no ip address
interface vlan 2
ip address ... etc.

Once done, start a tftp server on your local machine (you could use 3Cserver for this), then telnet into the device and issue the command:
copy tftp server [ip address] [filename] running-config

You can then connect to vlan 2 (new mgmt vlan) and write to memory (wr mem or copy run start) then cancel the reload.

It would be nice if Cisco would help out with this issue.

mariusvw
Level 1
Level 1

It took a while to get a reply. But a workaround for this is change the VPID to another VLAN id than 1, this will exclude those ports from the VLAN1 where you can put the management only in VLAN1.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card