Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9

cventici
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I currently have an 1121 acting as a bridge to allow my wireless clients to connect to the internet via an 871. I want to upgrade my WAP to a model that supports Wireless N and WPA2. The most affordable model I can find is the AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 but, I want to confirm that this new device does not need a WLC to work. I am hoping this device is just like an 1121 where I assign is an IP and manage it from a browser or telnet session, no WLC required.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

To answer your question out of the box, no it will require a WLC, you could convert it to and IOS AP which wouldn't require the WLC or just order the unit as IOS using this part number..   AIR-AP1142N-A-K9

Hope this helps. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks,

Kayle

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

To answer your question out of the box, no it will require a WLC, you could convert it to and IOS AP which wouldn't require the WLC or just order the unit as IOS using this part number..   AIR-AP1142N-A-K9

Hope this helps. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks,

Kayle

Thank you very much.

Can anyone recommend a standalone ap (beside the 1142) that supports wireless-N and WPA2?

The cheaper, the better!

Thanks!

Teoh Chee Hin
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

do this 1250 is better than 1142?

currently i am looking for one indoor ap also can support wireless N, and must be compatible to most of the client wifi adapter, there are too much multiple vendor brand.

besides, how about 1262? is it stable?

do this 1250 is better than 1142?

Depends.  The last post was dated 2009.  Since then there were alot of new APs.  There are things the 1250 has that the 1140 won't do.  This is in the area of using optional external antennas.  I won't be discussing any feature1250 because Cisco has announced the end-of-sale of this model.

The following AP support N:  1040, 1140, 1250, 1260 and 3500.

The 1250, 1260 and 3500e/3500p require external antennas.  The 1040, 1140 and 3500i has built-in antennas and suited for indoor use.

Thank alot.

Just an fyi --

You can order the AP in 2 models

AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9

AIR-AP-1142N-A-K

You will notice LAP and AP in both line. The LAP is controller the AP is autonomous. If you order the wrong model you can still change the code back from lwapp to autonomous and the other way around.

I hope this helps

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I have had a 1262 almost since it came out and it has been very stable and reliable. In my experience the 1250 series had a number of issues, but I also believe they are being end of lifed.  Also the 1250 is not a direct comparison to the 1142 neither is the 1262, both the 1250 and 1262 require external antennas where the 1142 has integrated antennas.

1250 IS INDEED EOL. PLUS it require 802.3at power ... 1262 802.3.af

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thank a lot.

hopefully 1262N can be better performance compare to ap1142 or ap1252, as i know ap1252 had EOL.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: