cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Any word yet on the 9900 series phones and UC5x0

bjames
Level 5
Level 5

Just wondering if/when we might see the integration of the 99x1 series video phone into the UC 520-560 appliances?

I was hoping this was on the roadmap for this year, but I might be too hopeful

Thanks in advance,

Bob James

6 Replies 6

David Harper
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm afriad not this year.  We need to wait for the availability of the next release of the underlying CME application to support the phones - something that is roadmapped for late this year - and then we have a few months of lead time to test and bundle that software into a UC500 software bundle, and also to implement CCA support for those phones.

We are aiming for the first half of calendar year 2011, but that is not formally committed yet, so is subject to change.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thank you Dave very much for a clear concise answer I can set expectations around.

I wish this was always the case.

Bob James

I have noticed that the 8900 and 9900 series phones are currently SIP only.

Here are the current limitations of using IP phones in SIP mode in Cisco Unified CME:

• Ephone-dns or SCCP line extensions cannot be shared with IP phones in SIP mode.
  • IP phones in SIP mode cannot be used with CallConnector or the TAPI or CSTA interfaces.
  • Extensions for IP phones in SIP mode must be defined as voice register dns instead of ephone-dns. These extensions do not support night service call forwarding.
  • IP phones in SIP mode can be part of voice hunt groups, but cannot be part of ephone-hunt groups. IP phones in SCCP mode can be part of voice hunt groups in Cisco Unified CME 7.0 and later, and can be part of ephone-hunt groups. Sequential, longest idle, and peer hunt groups configured in CCA 1.x and 2.x are ephone-hunt groups. Parallel voice hunt groups are also known as call blast groups.
  • B-ACD is not currently supported on IP phones in SIP mode.
  • There is no support for expansion modules for IP phones in SIP mode in CME. However, 796x and 797x phones do support expansion modules in SCCP mode in CME.
  • CCA only supports SCCP on the 7900 series, SPA500 series, and SPA300 series phones.

Will the SCCP protocol be supported on the 8900 and 9900 series phones in a UC500 deployment, or will the SIP protocol be supported on the 8900 and 9900 series phones?

Hi John,

They are SIP only and all the things you mention are what we need to do in CCA to support them, hence why we dont have support right out of the gate.

Cant commit dates, but road mapped.

Steve

I had noticed that the phone load sizes for the 8900 and 9900 series phones is much larger than that of any of the other Cisco Unified IP phones. The 128MB flash memory on the UC500 is too small to accommodate the 8900 and 9900 series phone loads along with other IP phone firmware files, CME support files, and IOS images. The UC500 IOS image size has increased from approximately 25MB to approximately 38MB. The UC540 and UC560 models already ship with 256MB of flash memory. A flash memory upgrade for the UC520 is going to be needed to support 8900 and 9900 series phones on the UC520.

I had previously asked in the following post whether or not a flash memory upgrade would be available on the UC520:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3246252

The solution that was described in the above post was to reduce flash memory usage by deleting unneeded phone loads from the flash memory, and that solution has already been implemented in CCA 2.1 and later. However, this solution by itself is inadequate to supporting 8900 and 9900 series phones, as firmware files for the 8900 and 9900 series phones are much larger than most of the phones, and the space needed for the IOS image, CME support files, and the firmware for all of the phones used in the deployment is often going to be larger than 128MB when 8900 and/or 9900 series phones are deployed. A flash memory upgrade (for UC520 models) plus phone load management is going to be needed in order to support 8900 and 9900 series phones on the UC520.

John,

Thanks for the great breakdown on SIP in the CME environment. This should be standard reading ro anyone workign with both.

Cheers.

Bob James

PS: I wonder where the Cios will fit the in the CME/9900 series debate?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: