cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing and switching with Cisco Catalyst 3550

bogpsycho
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody ! I use a Catalyst 3550 for routing and switching my clients to the Internet. I established a BGP session with an ISP which give me a default route for Global Access and full routing table (BGP) for Metro Access. At the moment everything is going fine, but the memory resources are low.  My question is : Is it possible to disable CEF on the switch port that is connected to the ISP ? And in this way the switch doesn't build a switching table with the bgp routes that it receives ? I receive from the ISP about 10k of metro routes and the installed memory on the switch is 64/8 MB.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

If you really want, you can disable CEF on the interface like this:

conf t

int fax/y

no ip route-cache cef

Then you can check if it's disabled:

sw3-c3550#sh ip int fa0/1 | i CEF
  IP CEF switching is disabled
  IP route-cache flags are Fast, No CEF

Here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a83.shtml

You'll find an interesting article about how to  "Achieve Optimal Routing and Reduce BGP Memory  Consumption"

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

If you really want, you can disable CEF on the interface like this:

conf t

int fax/y

no ip route-cache cef

Then you can check if it's disabled:

sw3-c3550#sh ip int fa0/1 | i CEF
  IP CEF switching is disabled
  IP route-cache flags are Fast, No CEF

Here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a83.shtml

You'll find an interesting article about how to  "Achieve Optimal Routing and Reduce BGP Memory  Consumption"

Calin,

You should not disable CEF on the Layer-3-Switch since this will disable hardware-based Layer3-Routing.

To process-switch traffic, the CPU in the 3550 is much too small.

Also, a Cat 3550 does not have sufficient memory to keep a bgp full-table, or two of them.

I would suggest to use at least one or a pair of  2821 router with 1GByte of Ram to do so,

(of course better a pair of 7201 with 2GByte of RAM).

Today, CEF ist working fine in most IOS Versions and many Cisco-uniqe features rely on it.

You may disable soft-config do save memory in BGP.

But iff you have just one upstream, you do not need BGP-full tables but only default-route,

and inject your own prefix. (You do not need bgp or an AS for that with just one connection).

just my 0.01 $,

Juergen.

Juergen, I know that everybody's advice is to use CEF, and this would be the best, if possible. In some cases, you have to deal with the hardware that you have and I just answer to the original question, how and if CEF can be disabled on Cisco 3550.

Cheers,

Calin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco