cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to boot-up Blade automatically upon power on?

steven.pw.lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a way to configure the UCS blades to boot up upon power on (assuming each blade already has a service profile associated)?

THanks.

4 Replies 4

bmoody
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Steven,

When a blade is powered on that has a service profile associated it should boot based on the boot policy defined in the Service Profile. Once the blade is powered on you can monitor progress using the KVM console.

In UCS Manager under the Equipment tab if you highlight the server, then look on the right pane under Actions the Shutdown Server option will power

the blade off. The Boot Server option will power the server on.

Note that when configuring a Service Profile at the last step when you have the option to assign the profile to a server there is also an option to select the power state that should be applied to the blade when the profile is associated.

Bill

Well, I mean if let's say there's a power failure and then power is restored later, I want to have the blades being powered on automatically instead of going into UCSM manually to boot up the servers, upon restoration of power. Is this possible?

Thanks.

If you have firmware 1.3 you can create a BIOS Policy and link it to the service profile to configure the blade to auto power on if power is lost and then restored.

Got it...

Resume Ac On Power Loss under BIOS policy..

• last-state—The server is powered on and the system attempts to restore its last state.

• reset—The server is powered on and automatically reset.

If I choose reset, this means when the server is powered on, it'll be reset

However, I don't quite get what last-state means.

Is this referring to the last state the OS is in, it we didn't shutdown the OS, when the server is powered on, it'll load the OS at that last state? Doesn't make sense though.. Probably some examples would be good

Thanks..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card