Views
Helpful
Replies

Replace PIX 515E ver 6.2(2) to ASA 5505

shivani.sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a task of replacing PIX515E ver 6.2(2) to ASA 5505. I have read that I need to upgrade PIX to ver 7.0 before I can just use tftp and move the config to ASA. However, if I dont have an option to upgrade what is the best way to go about it? Is the only option, to just configure ASA from scratch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There is a tool available to convert PIX configuration to ASAs. You can download the same from the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/pix

Hope this helps!! Please note that there are a few commands that will not be migrated, for example, conduits.

Thanks and Regards,

Prapanch

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

praprama
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

There is a tool available to convert PIX configuration to ASAs. You can download the same from the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/pix

Hope this helps!! Please note that there are a few commands that will not be migrated, for example, conduits.

Thanks and Regards,

Prapanch

Thanks Prapanch!! After looking at the instructions for the conversion tool, I think I will have to upgrade PIX to ver 6.3 and then use the tool to do the migration to ASA 5505. I will also have to regenerate the certificates on the ASA as PIX 6.3 will not copy the certificates to the ASA directly.

The other option is to do the conversion manually.

If I do the conversion using the tool and upgrading the pix ver to 6.3, are there any other major reasons I need to be concerned of?

Thanks!

Hi,

As i mentioned, there are few commands such as conduits in 6.3 which are not migrated using the tool. When you perform the migration, you will see a list of commands that aren't migrated as well. You can check that and make the necessary changes then and there before putting the converted config onto the ASA.

Thanks and Regards,

Prapanch

Thanks Prapanch. I will try it out.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card