cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN card problem, Frame relay PVC doesnt come up.

hanwucisco
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to install two Serial 2T cards into a 3745 router (R3 in this diagram), all with smart cables to its neighbor. All the devices involved are in one room. One card has no problem with finding its two CDP neighor. The other, which i am trying to set as Frame-relay connections to others, connected to another 3745 that is used as Frame-relay switch. 

R2==Serial port on WIC 2====R3=====Serial port on WIC 1(problematic link)==Frame Switch(3745 similated)======R1

|                                                                                         |

|=====Same card ===============================|

Problem: Interface on R3 to Frame Switch is alway up/down, when configured with Frame-relay encapsulation(the same linke, when I set it as hdlc on both sides, it works fine. ). But R1 and R2 are working fine. they are same routers, cards.

Anyone can give me some hint? It seems that there is no much documents online for this.

Also, a second question, the numberation of the ports seems to be very confusion, it doesnt go with the physical slots.

thanks,

Han

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

Are you using a frame-relay back to back DCE/DTE cable?

You need to configure clock & intf-type as dce on frame switch.

Sounds like you may have your layer 2 info configured wrong.

Can you post relevant configs from the frame switch and router in trouble?

Adam         

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Adam Frederick
Level 3
Level 3

Are you using a frame-relay back to back DCE/DTE cable?

You need to configure clock & intf-type as dce on frame switch.

Sounds like you may have your layer 2 info configured wrong.

Can you post relevant configs from the frame switch and router in trouble?

Adam         

That's one thing that I suspect first. I configued the FR switch side as DCE for all the links. other routers all work but this R3 has Clock rate in that interface all the time and I can't delete.

How can I make sure it is back to back DCE/DTE cable?

thanks,

If you are having trouble removing a configurable interface attribute try the 'default interface' command.

default interface ser0/0

Usually the back to back serial cables have DTE or DCE labeled on one end.  If they do not a show controller should reveal it.

Chris

With the cable attached, you can issue a show controller.  It will tell if it's DTE or DCE.

R1#show controller serial 0/1/0

Interface Serial0/1/0

Hardware is PowerQUICC MPC860

DCE V.35, no clock

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card