cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issues with WAP4410N going offline

milkboy31
Level 1
Level 1

Well... I wish I could say the V2's have solved the issue fully.  But they haven't.

I've had multiple times where different V2's have gone offline until I unplug and re-plug in the network cord again.  The frequency seems to be less than before, but it is definitely NOT resolved.

Of the 5 wifi points installed currently, I've had to reset 3 of them in the past two weeks at various times.

I am installing 2 more V2's at another site later this week.

I am likely going to force 100M again to see if that stabilizes things.

How hard is it to make a reliable product?  Really???

26 Replies 26

amoebamusic
Level 1
Level 1

I'm glad I've found this thread! Like all of you I'm having the same problems that everyone else is having with the WAP4410N droping out every other day with the only way to fix it is with a power cycle.

I have two V1's with firmware              2.0.1.0 installed. Both are connected to different managed Netgear GS724TP's. One is running on POE the other is not.

After I've reboot them, the log file has a bunch of "hostapd: ptk update fail" Don't know if that's related.

I've just set the APs to force 100M. We'll see how that works over the weekend.

Monday I'll contact RMA and see if I can get V2's I'll keep you posted as to what I find.

Really disapointed in Cisco. I expected them to make Linksys products better, not worse. I hope the support proccess isn't to painful.

Honestly, we have 4 v2's with the latest fw all set to force 100m and still need rebooted every couple days to pass traffic. At least with v1's set to 100m it worked... I think my next step (sadly) is to buy some digital timers that auto cut power daily so they reboot every day prior to business hours.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

That seems like the only solution. Since cisco isn't doing anything about it. I wonder

if flashing DD-wrt onto it would fix the problem. Unless it's really an overheating problem.

Wish they would keep us informed!

Honestly, it doesn't seem like heat is the issue. The unit is still responsive on the web interface (I can get to it from a wired connection) but they don't pass wireless traffic anymore (nor will it pass DHCP to clients trying to connect)... and a reboot initiated from the web interface wakes up the wifi side of things... If heat was the issue, it likely wouldn't restore functionality with a reboot at the same temperature.

Very frustrating to spend this kind of $ on 8 units to see the same poor performance from all of them.

on my site it definitively is no heat problem. i've been using the product for the last 12 months min. without any issue. this week i got my srw2024 switch replaced by a sge2000 and immediately i was facing this problem which i only was able to solve by activating the "force 100mbit" mode.

to any cisco employee: can we expect a fix for this issue with a new firmware? i realy need to be able to have reliable product which works on a 1gb lan connection.

Thanks for your e-mail. I am on vacation and will respond on my return. If you need help in my absence, please call the office at 215-968-7577. Peter.

In order to address WAP4410N issues, we need to provide our Support Team with specific informationon configuration and setup. If you have not already contacted the Small Business Support Center, please do so right away. http://www.cisco.com/go/sbsc. The information you provide might help others with similar issues.

If you already contacted the Small Business Support Center, please reply with your case number so we may follow up.

Thank you,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business Technology Group

I've got this AP setup in my small office branch, with a few mobile phones (Iphone's, HTC, Sony Erricson) and a heap of laptops accessing it in conjuction with a wired network (laptops only), after a few hours the mobile phones can no longer connect to it and the HTC phone shows constant "obtaining Address" message, the Laptops never have an issue, after doing a fair bit of research and testing I've found that its an issue with the Key Renewal feature, under Wireless security, Mines currently set to WPA2-Personal Mixed with Wirless isolation Disabled and a 40 character Pre-Sharde Key, the issue is with the Key Renewal feature, it can only be set to a max of 36000 Seconds, and it seems that when the AP renews the keys the mobile phones can't maintain the connection, all I had to do was change that time and select save and the phones could then connect again, but after that time runs out it happens again, so no power cycle is required but that setting has to be 'reset'.

I've got the latest firmware version on it, is there a fix for this? is this the definitive fault or is there something else?

marykirsten
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same issue.  We have a mix of Blackberry, iPhone, and HTC phones and all will drop their connections and not renegotiate.  The laptops we have connecting (24) all work fine.

Any way to set the key refresh interval to not autorenew?  Can firmware even fix the issue?  I have the latest 2.0.3.3.  I hate to have to send it back but I think that is my only option at this point.

I still haven't gotten any feedback from Cisco about this fault, however I keep the connection going for the Mobile Phones by logging into the router on a 1 to 2 day basis and change the "Key Renewal:" between the values of 35999 seconds and 35998 seconds, 36000 seconds in the maximum allowed, you can find this under >Wireless > Security "Key Renwal:"

I have my secuity setup as:

Security Mode: WPA2-Personal Mixed

Wireless Isolation:(with SSID) Disabled

this is a clunky way around the fault but its a short term solution......

I have fought this for over a year.  I called CISCO about it a year ago and was told "We don't guarantee it will connect with Blackberry."  Since then I have installed 3 firmware updates, hoping each time that the problem was fixed.  NO.  So will be selling it on eBay. Too bad, as it has some nice features. But the truth is that this small business line is just the Linksys stuff.

Hi,

As Stephanie Reaves responded in this thread, "... If you have not already contacted the Small  Business Support Center, please do so right away. http://www.cisco.com/go/sbsc"

Seriously, a documented case number helps us follow up with your issues since everyones situation is a bit different, especially when it comes to wireless connections.

Thank you,

Cindy Toy

Cisco Small Business

Community Manager

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Quite frankly, opening a ticket with TAC is a royal pain. Can't you guys accept tickets from us on-line? Every time I have to open up a ticket at work, I have to go through the normal, are you sure it's plugged in?, are you running the latest firmware?, have you tried a reboot stuff that just gets old.

I've had the 4410N for about 2 months now, updated to the latest firmware, forced the 100M LAN connect and it still locks up. Now, if I don't use it, it's fine which is better than before the 100M change. Just a few minutes ago I was copying a 12 GB image file over the wireless, it got about 3 GB downloaded and poof, gone. No ping, no admin no nothing. Cycle power and everything is fine, for the next 3 to 5 GB.

So you've got this nice support community where everyone is posting information on what works and what doesn't but instead of listening to the feedback, the only thing Cisco can come up with is "open a ticket"? The other comment I saw in the threads was "We're not seeing any issue with this unit on the basis of tickets".

Sounds like you've got yourselves convinced there are no problems. Very disappointing, Cisco.

Here's a quick, free lesson in Management 101. Rule #1: Listen to your customers, regardless of how they choose to communicate with you. Rule #2: Statistics don't tell the whole story.

I was able to call in to Cisco Small Business Support today and discovered a most distressing issue.  When I described the issue to the engineer and referenced this thread the engineer stated that they do not have any smart phones to test with in the lab.  Needless to say I was shocked.  How can a company provide a service and then have no way to test or troubleshoot it when issues arise?  As the engineer put it, you can create a ticket but it won't go anywhere since there are no smart phones in the lab to test with. 

Can someone from Cisco step in to move this along?  This is a real problem on this unit and it needs to be dealt with.   

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: