cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N goes responsive overnight

anastrophe1
Level 1
Level 1

we've given up on the 4410n. we have two of them, one at the front of our office, one at the back (we have a floor in a highrise in san francisco). the one at the rear of the office - version one hardware, has never had any trouble. it just runs and runs and runs, has been up in the false ceiling for more than a year now. the one at the front of the office started giving us trouble within months of installation. not passing traffic. took it down from the false ceiling and kept it on my desk. staff got in the habit of just power cycling it when the first person showed up in the morning, since it always locked up overnight. RMA'ed it, got a version 2 hardware unit. seemed better initially - but it was faking it. same problems. going unresponsive overnight. gave up.

bought a $40 TrendNet AP. not a single problem in the month it's replaced the 4410N.

better quality hardware at less than 1/4th the price. wow. never buying a cisco WAP again.

14 Replies 14

anastrophe1
Level 1
Level 1

wow, now you're scrubbing comments that aren't 'happy smiley'. cisco, this is horrendous.

With all due respect Paul, we're not scrubbing --just trying to organize posts to (1) make them easier for our support teams to address and (2) allow other community members to find similar issues without needless searching and scrolling.

Can you please provide me with your Small Business Support Center case number. I'd like to personally follow up with the support team. You can post your case number here or email me directly -- streavesatciscodotcom.

Thanks again for your participation in the Support Community.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business Technology Group

not scrubbing? then why was my comment deleted, along with another user's reply, and replies from cisco, that were in this sub-thread yesterday?

the only support case i have is for the rma of one of the WAP's. when i got the v2 hardware, and it also started going stupid every night, i decided to cut my losses and just decommission the waps we have. why rma further units, when the 'fix' units don't fix the problem? it's just busy work doing so.

RMA/Service Order Number: 83329587
Service Request Number:  614554269

whatever happened to transparency? you do realize that you scrubbed another user's comments along with mine?

my comments that you removed were not 'kind', but they were not out of line, considering how this issue has been dealt with in the YEAR since it was first reported. i didn't curse, i was merely blunt. if you honestly think they were so severe that they needed to be censored (without notice, i might add), then there's a significant problem with your corporate culture.

who do i talk to about my refund for the three defective and non-functional WAP4410N's i am stuck with?

Nothing was removed or censored -- simply "branched" and relabeled. See: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2043466?tstart=0. . And again this was for the benefit of other community members and those of us trying to address issues.

We've actually been very lucky in the Small Business Support Community to very rarely have the need to remove or censor anyone or anything. It's due to the fact that our community members are professionals who we sincerely hope value the community and the exchange of ideas as much as we do. However some threads grow so long and gangly they're hard to manage.

Contact your distributor or the Small Business Support Center regarding returned merchandise authorization.

And whatever you do, please continue to participate in and support this community. Your business and your satisfaction ARE important to us.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

i stand corrected, though it still seems exceedingly odd to split out the main thread, then a day later split out a subthread into yet another thread. when i went to my account control panel, it showed no evidence of that post being in existence any longer, so i assumed it had been scrubbed. but we all know what assuming gets us.

my frustration is, i hope, understandable. nearly a year mucking about with a defective product does not a fan make.

my organization uses other cisco hardware, we have ASA's and routers by cisco. as i originally said, i'll never buy another cisco AP again, that doesn't mean i'm here to trash all of cisco.

the hundreds of responses in the original thread speak to the frustration of others, and show that this isn't just a couple of users who don't know what they're doing, or a couple of flakey units out there. the fact that v2 hardware exhibits similar symptoms suggests that somebody was guessing as to the cause of the problem when they engineered the revision. that's not the right way to fix a product, or to serve the customer base that's suffering from these issues.

Paul,

The only post I know about we ever removed was exposing a PSIRT and we later reposed after we fixed it.

I dont think we removed anything here, did we?

We even left in your promotion of a product (not ours) and I wonder if they have a community of volunteers assisting their Partners....

Personally, while I am open to honest feedback because we learn from it, I think your last sentence in the first post maybe was a little unnecessary?

If you think about it, your new post (moved) will actually get more attention now, as our metrics show people tend to pay attention to newer posts.

I hope you dont think badly of any of us who like you, come to work every day to try to help.

Steve.

i posted late last night. it had the blunt sentence "EAT YOUR OWN DOGFOOD" in it, twice. it was up on the site last night. it was up on the site this morning. it is now gone.

i don't know what else to call it besides 'scrubbing'.

stop and think for a minute - while you on the one hand chastise me for mentioning a competitor, you suggest that i'm part of a cabal of volunteers promoting that other product? ahem. i'm the *customer*. customers vent when they're frustrated. vendors, support people, for better or worse are expected to accept the venting. i haven't personally said any cisco employees suck, i've said (bluntly) that the response to this issue is far from adequate. and cisco has offered no real remediation.

again, we're at v2 *hardware* on this device and it exhibits the same problems. i'm not going to mail back my remaining two v1 devices to be replaced with more v2 devices that don't work.

would cisco be interested in buying back my v1 and v2 hardware to test? i'll sell that at a reasonable price: what i paid for them.

The post to which you refer is here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2043466?tstart=0.

I assure you nothing has been removed. Take advantage of the community search feature or visit the Discussions index to locate others.

Thanks

i reread your reply and realize i misinterpreted your comments about the competitor and volunteers. sigh. i'll bow out here, i'm being an ass, and making a further ass out of myself. i'm upset at having three doorstops under my desk. such is life. it's not worth getting this worked up about it. sorry for my intemperate remarks.

Totally understand the frustration. Please believe me when I say we have teams working 24/7 (myself included!) to remove the pain points. Your business, loyalty, participation, and satisfaction with Cisco products is paramount to us. And we _won't_ give up.

Hope you won't either. Apologies for the frustration you've already encountered. I'm working directly with SBSC on your case now.

Thanks,

Hi Paul -- I see that you don't have Community Private Messaging enabled. Will you please send me your email address so I can give you a status update?

streavesatciscodotcom

Thanks,

Stephanie

it's high time i replied here. Ms. Reaves and i have been communicating in email, and are moving forward on a solution. i've shared configs, and will rma my other V1 hardware once a true fix is in the offing. Stephanie has been gracious and patient, and i owe her and the other cisco volunteers an apology. i'm very sorry for just whining and complaining about the problems, rather than contributing to figuring out what the problems are.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: