cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP4410N stops responding between 1 day and 1 week

EleventhHour
Level 1
Level 1

With over 45,000 views, something must be wrong. Like many of the others here, we can't work out what's wrong with our network and why the cisco 4410n behaves so badly.

Our experience is just like everyone elses. At some point in time, mainly between 1 day and 1 week, the router just stops responding. The problem appears to be on the LAN side, as quite often when it fails, the wireless is still active and clients are associated. Some time ago I was Cisco certified, so I have had faith in Cisco products. I also sold them for a living, which made it a natural choice, but I am struggling to come to terms with my purchase here.

I had tried:

All the latest firmwares from March until now (including the latest)

Full resets of the device, including "reset to factory defaults"

Pegging the autonegotiate to fixed 10/100

Changing channels on the wireless (although as mentioned, it appears LAN side issues)

This thread has given me different views. Other sites also talk about changing beacon settings, but I'm not sure that's the right way to go.I would consider syslogging the results and getting extended debug happening, but when the problem happens and the device hangs, LAN is lost so the messages are also lost.

I find it hard to believe that so many people can have this problem and no one at Cisco can reproduce the fault. So, here's a pretty simple network for Cisco to experiment with which clearly has the problem:

Flat GBit network

Dlink DGS-1016D 16-port GB switch (unmanaged)

4-5 wireless clients (mainly iPhones & iPad)

The volume of traffic is low - no huge file transfers. The expected uptime is between 3-6 days. As a matter of interest, I also tried POE to drive it using a TP-Link injector. The device worked perfectly, but the problem did not seem to be affected.

It might be heading towards time to log a call on this. I was hoping the vast number of existing callers would have given the support staff enough to solve the problem, but it appears Cisco is none-the-wise on the fault, let alone the solution.

As a matter of interest, maybe a good interrim solution would be for Cisco to use the watchdog timer to ping a known address and perform a soft-reset if the address (on the local network) did not respond after a period of time. This atleast would stop people having to crawl under desks and pull plugs to reset the device as it has no power switch.

I have a "Generation 2" device.

2 Replies 2

milkboy31
Level 1
Level 1

Steve, maybe you can call in a ticket to work direct with them on this. You seem to know more than most here and might be able to lead cisco to a solution. They don't seem to work off this thread more than asking folks to call in a ticket.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

streaves
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Thanks for posting in the Community. Product engineering has reviewed your post and suggests you use soft reset to restore your AP.

Several teams, including Support and Product Engineering, are working to resolve issues associated with the WAP4410N. In order to provide the best possible information, we need to hear from you and get the details of your issue.

Please contact the Small Business Support Center at 1 866 606 1866. You'll find a list of international support numbers here: www.cisco.com/go/sbsc. The information you provide to our Support Engineers could help resolve similar issues so thank you in advance.

If you have already contacted the Small Business Support Center, please provide us with your case number.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business Technology Group