Views
Helpful
Replies

Hard to find port for given MAC

mariorod1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 6509 (R7000), I want to locate the port traffic is going through for a server. I have the server's ip; so I ping the server(using the respective vrf), then sh ip arp vrf <VRF> <target ip>, then sh mac-address-table address <MAC found on previous command> but got no results.

There are two servers using different IPs, but the same MAC, one does respond to ping and the other doesn't, however, when I run the sh ip arp for both of them, the same MAC comes up; still, there is no port for the sh mac-address-table command.

What is missing?

I need to find where these servers are physically attached to.

2 Replies 2

NickNac79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mariano,

This is probably a stupid question, but are you certain that the MAC address you found is the interface of the server, and not a gateway address?

You can try specifying the vlan when you run the show mac address-table command - this can sometimes help.

Are you running CDP in your network & do you have access to the server?  If so you can use Wireshark to capture the CDP packets and see the device & port it is attached to.

Hope this helps :-)

Nick

Thanks Nick!

I specified the vlan before without results, but jus a moment ago, I'm getting two different MACs for each, and specific ports. Although the MAC addresses I found now are different from the database. It's likely they are doing something with the servers, but I had no results when the mac was "correct" though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: