cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing a WS-X6148 with a WS-X6748?

nmjones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have two WS-X6148-GE-TX blades in a 6509-E chassis. Due to the limitations I have purchased two replacement WS-X6748-GE-TX blades, my question is, as they are the same types of blades (i.e. - both are 48 port RJ45 Gigabit interfaces) will it just be a case of a straight hot swap of these blades can anyone tell me please?

I will be backing up the config first of course 

Many thanks

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nmjones wrote:

Hi, I have two WS-X6148-GE-TX blades in a 6509-E chassis. Due to the limitations I have purchased two replacement WS-X6748-GE-TX blades, my question is, as they are the same types of blades (i.e. - both are 48 port RJ45 Gigabit interfaces) will it just be a case of a straight hot swap of these blades can anyone tell me please?

I will be backing up the config first of course 

Many thanks

You should be fine hot swapping them and the config should transfer fine depending on the switchport configs eg. QOS settings if you have them could well be different due to the different architecture of the blades.

But like you say, definitely backup configs first !

Jon

Thanks Jon

There isn't anything complex on these ports as they are purely servers and due to the architecture of the old cards they are fairly sparsely populated at present.

Thanks again.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Besides the qos difference as Jon has mentioned. You also want to make sure the IOS version meets the minimum requirement of 6748 LC. If the 6748 LC has DFC, you also want to check the DFC is the same level as the PFC on the sup. I noticed you mentioned it is for server connection, but still want to mention 6748 LC doesn't support POE which 6148 does.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Hi Lei Tian

Thank you for your answer, I have checked the IOS version and it is later than that on the release notes thankfully

I also haven't ordered the DFC daughter board  so hopefully I won't have any issues with that .

Thanks once again

Nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: