cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 Memory upgrade

waldronks
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have 2 ASA 5510's on my network, where one acts as the failover for the other. I recently received a memory stick to upgrade one of them, and wondered if I will have problems if I don't upgrade the memory on both.

Please advise....

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Magnus Mortensen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Depending on the version, you can have a failover pair with mismatched memory. We do not advise running it like this in production for extended periods of time, but a mismatch while upgrading both should be fine.   I assume you will upgrade both correct? - Magnus

Posted from my mobile device.

The problem I had is the other memory card wasn't ordered, so at this time I was only going to upgrade the one ASA.  As it looks based on your response though, I may just wait to upgrade the one until I have both in hand....that is, if I am understanding you correctly.

Hey,

As Magnus has rightly pointed out, it is not advisable to run the devices with memory cards of different sizes. So it would indeed be a wise ploy to upgrade once you have both the memory cards.

Thank you both for your responses!! Very helpful!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: