Views
Helpful
Replies

ios image for Cat C6509-E

sawosankung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We wish to upgrade the ios image of our Core LAN switches with Sup720/MSFC3 and FWSM firewall module. The current ios is "s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF12a" on most of the units but one recently deployed has ios s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXH6.

I looked at the cisco Software Adisor but not sure whether it is better to stick to the 12.2(18)SXF  path or other in the 12.2SXH or 12.2SXI series.  However, I found that there are some features in the older version which are not in 12.2SXH and SXI series,  eg Content Switching Module (CSM) and Route Processor Redundancy Plus (RPR+).                   

Please can you weigh in.

Thanks.

sankung

2 Replies 2

Ruchir Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sankung,

I could see that the support for CSM module was reintroduced in the IOS version 12.2(33)SXI2 or later. Please refer this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/release/notes/hardware.html#wp4657571

The SXH and SXI releases might not have few features which might be deprected totally in future but you would find new range of features in these releases like VSS support etc. for RPR+, I think possibly this has been removed as we hardly use it since we prefer to run supervisors in SSO mode.

I hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,

Ruchir

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. However, for my C6509 with Sup720+MFSC3 and FWSM and 48-port WS-X6548-GE-TX cards which upgrade path do you recommend: 12.2SXF or 12.2SXH or 12.2SXI ?

Also, in terms of major features, what is the difference  between Advanced Enterprise and Advanced IP Services for the 12.2SX series ?

And finally, in the Software Advisor I can only see/find ED releases of these images. So where can I find the GD releases ?

Thanks

sankung

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card