cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting Unity Wav to MP3

rwshaheen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that has several Droid1 smartphones for their user community.  The Droid1 has completely dropped support for wav files unless you purchase a $10 application.  Is there a way to convert the wav files before they are sent as emails to the end user to mp3?  Thanks!

6 Replies 6

rwshaheen
Level 1
Level 1

I need to clarify a bit.  The system is a UC560.

jburton
Level 1
Level 1

rwshaheen wrote:

I have a customer that has several Droid1 smartphones for their user community.  The Droid1 has completely dropped support for wav files unless you purchase a $10 application.  Is there a way to convert the wav files before they are sent as emails to the end user to mp3?  Thanks!

Yea... Google is your friend...

This is a well-documented issue with not only the UC500 family, but many of the other "Your voicemail.wav is attached to this e-mail" products.

As  you've discovered you can push that to the customer by having them forward all their .wav-bearing e-mail to GMail.  Probably not the best solution either.

THE solution seems to be finding some way to have Unity Express generate the .wav file in PCM 16bit 8kHz format.and forward THAT.   Droid v2.1 seems to have worked well, but when Droids 'upgraded' to 2.2 it broke .wav support...   Rumor is that 2.3 is coming out in Q4 and should address the issue...

Believe that when I see it..

Naturally I could be wrong .. and your mileage may vary

John,

I am aware that the issue is not with the UC but the way in which Droid dropped support for wav files.  As you stated before the gmail workaround is not really a solution so I revert back to my original question.  Is there a way to have the UC convert the wav file to MP3 before it is sent as an attachment?

rwshaheen wrote:

John,

I am aware that the issue is not with the UC but the way in which Droid dropped support for wav files.  As you stated before the gmail workaround is not really a solution so I revert back to my original question.  Is there a way to have the UC convert the wav file to MP3 before it is sent as an attachment?

I suspect that the g729 codec (or g729-B) might be an answer here, but that's just a tad beyond my knowledge.   And to rub salt into the wound, I have no Droid to test with. 

If there were a way to modify the config in CUE to use g279 to encode the voicemail .wav file to PCM 16bit/8kHz vice using g711ulaw as is the default codec for voicemail .. well we might then solve the issue...

In my opinion, modifying to mp3 might be a bit of an overload on the processor in your standard UC520 ....  Especially a busy one ..

As always your mileage may vary

Thanks, John.  That is the confirmation I was looking for.  Basically, it is somewhat a bear of an undertaking and the result is not guaranteed.

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yeah CUE has no native way to do this.  If you needed a solution, your best bet would be to have some script which watches the IMAP folder on CUE, pulls new messages down, throws it through a mp3 encoder, and forwards it out to another mailbox.  If you are good with UNIX shell scripting you could accomplish this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: