Views
Helpful
Replies

PRI and POTS

scooter817
Level 2
Level 2

Hi

I wanted to know if someone can explain to me the diffenence between PRI and POTS lines,thanks in advance for the help and have a geat day

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A PRI is a digital PSTN interface.  It has 23 B channels and 1 D channel.  In other words, every B channel can be used for inbound or outbound calls at any given time.  At the highest level, it's like having 23 phone lines.

A POTS line is a single, analog telephone line.  They can be configured differently based on your needs but at the highest level, it's a single telephone line.

Depending on the number of users that you have, having a PRI (or multiple) can be much more cost effective than trying to achieve the same level of PSTN connectivity with individual POTS lines.

Hailey

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A PRI is a digital PSTN interface.  It has 23 B channels and 1 D channel.  In other words, every B channel can be used for inbound or outbound calls at any given time.  At the highest level, it's like having 23 phone lines.

A POTS line is a single, analog telephone line.  They can be configured differently based on your needs but at the highest level, it's a single telephone line.

Depending on the number of users that you have, having a PRI (or multiple) can be much more cost effective than trying to achieve the same level of PSTN connectivity with individual POTS lines.

Hailey

Thanks alot I really appreicate the help