Cisco 891w - unable to get into Global Configuration mode on Integrated Access Point

Unanswered Question
Sep 23rd, 2010
User Badges:

Hi all,

Working with wired Cisco equipment for many years, but trying to configure an integrated wireless AP for the first time.

I have a Cisco 891w router with the following software (main and integrated AP801 wireless AP):

1. Cisco IOS Software, C890 Software (C890-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.4(22)YB

License Level: advipservices

2. Cisco IOS Software, AP801 Software (AP801-RCVK9W8-M), Version 12.4(21a)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Opening a connection to integrated AP801 wireless device for performing wireless configuration tasks, the connection is established OK, authentication is passed OK using credentials from main configuration file, gaining level 15 privileges with enable command, but after that... no way to enter "Global Configuration mode" because there are no "configure" family commands present!!! Simply can't say "Conf t" because there is no such command!

I don't understand how it could be and what to do, so any advice would be very appreciated! Thank you.

Andrey Serov

Overall Rating: 4 (1 ratings)
Surendra BG Sat, 09/25/2010 - 06:04
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Vinay,

The link which you have provided to is for the 857 router not fot 891W.. 891W is completly different from 857.. the 891 has a integrated AP module in it..

Regards

Surendra

dreich-78 Sat, 09/25/2010 - 06:20
User Badges:

Hello Vinay,

Thank you for the reply, but as Surendra said, the 891W is a different model with integrated AP801 wireless access point, and configuring by another way.

To Surendra: What do you assume could be the problem? I am facing with that for the first time.

Thank you.

Andrey Serov

Surendra BG Sat, 09/25/2010 - 06:47
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Andrey,

Let me know how this works out for you!!

Regards

Surendra

dreich-78 Sun, 09/26/2010 - 07:28
User Badges:

Hello Surendra,

I would like to thank you so much for your advice, that is resolved my problem!!!

I used second method because required software was already present on the flash: filesystem on the router, so I just established an internal connection to AP, issued "debug capwap console cli", as you advised, and then changed boot image file name with "boot image <>" command, then reloaded the AP.

So I would like to thank you so much again for helping me to resolve this issue!!!

Andrey Serov

Surendra BG Sat, 09/25/2010 - 06:24
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Andrew,

Here is the problem!!!

2. Cisco IOS Software, AP801 Software "(AP801-RCVK9 "W8" -M)", Version 12.4(21a)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

The image on the AP module is LWAPP image (W8 >> LWAPP , W7 >> Autonomous Image).. which does not allow us to use CONF T command.. so the AP should use the Autonomous image to run those commands... the below commands will help you out to overcome this issue..

From the router config mode issue the command..

Router>en

Router#config t

Router(config t)#service-module wlan-ap0 bootimage autonomous  i

Router(config t)#service-module wlan-ap 0 reload

This will bring back the AP to autonomous..

I am 99% sure that the above commands will resolve the issue.. if not.. then you need to manualy convert the AP module from LWAPP to autonomous..

That is..

Download TFTP d32 on your laptop and install it..

-    Download the latest IOS image: www.cisco.com downloads for AP801 series.

Cisco.com  --- Click on the Support tab in top--- Then click   Download  software------ Choose Wireless --- Then select "Integrated  routers and  switches section" from product list-Then choose the router  model -  choose IOS image.. (12.4(21a)JY)

>> Now log into the AP module from the router and issue the command..

AP>en

AP#debug capwap console cli OR debug lwapp console cli

AP#config t

AP(config-t)#int GIG 0 or int FA 0

AP(config - int)#ip addresss (make sure you have the connectivity to your laptop ip address, that is the interface ip should be able to ping the laptop ip address, that is.. both in the same subnet)

AP(config - int)#no shut

AP(config - int)#end

Now use the archive download command to upgrade the AP to Autonomous..

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp:///

This will do it.. But the forst step will resolve the issue 99% if that doesnt work, then proceed with manual.

Then you will not be able t oaccess the AP GUI... i request you to follow the document posted by me to overcome that as well. that is..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13047

Let me know how the above works out for you!!

have a great weekend!!

Regards

Surendra

Surendra BG Sat, 09/25/2010 - 06:27
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi Andrew,

In my previous post thethere was a small mistake.. that is.. " i " was next to the command "service-module wlan-ap0 bootimage autonomous"

The correct one is below.. sorry for that..

Solution #1 >>

Router(config t)#service-module wlan-ap0 bootimage autonomous 

Router(config t)#service-module wlan-ap 0 reload

Solution #2 >>

Download TFTP d32 on your laptop and install it..

-    Download the latest IOS image: www.cisco.com downloads for AP801 series.

Cisco.com   --- Click on the Support tab in top--- Then click   Download   software------ Choose Wireless --- Then select "Integrated  routers and   switches section" from product list-Then choose the router  model -   choose IOS image.. (12.4(21a)JY)

>> Now log into the AP module from the router and issue the command..

AP>en

AP#debug capwap console cli OR debug lwapp console cli

AP#config t

AP(config-t)#int GIG 0 or int FA 0

AP(config  - int)#ip addresss (make sure you have  the connectivity to your laptop ip address, that is the interface ip  should be able to ping the laptop ip address, that is.. both in the same  subnet)

AP(config - int)#no shut

AP(config - int)#end

Now use the archive download command to upgrade the AP to Autonomous..

AP#archieve download-sw /force-reload /overwrite tftp:///

This will do it.. But the forst step will resolve the issue 99% if that doesnt work, then proceed with manual.

Then  you will not be able t oaccess the AP GUI... i request you to follow  the document posted by me to overcome that as well. that is..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13047

Let me know how the above works out for you!!

have a great weekend!!

Regards

Surendra

Brian Rapier Mon, 01/07/2013 - 17:14
User Badges:

I know this is an older post, but that post helped me reload a stuck AP.

Thanks

Leo Laohoo Mon, 01/07/2013 - 17:47
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, Wireless

Reload a stuck AP?

Go to the router and in enable mode, issue the command "service wlan 0 reload".

Actions

This Discussion