cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP

woodjl1650
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at getting some starter equipment to learn how to setup and configure VOIP at home.

Currently  I have a Cisco 3660, just two ethernet ports, an Cisco 2900XL switch  and a Cisco 2600 router that is not in use right now.  I also have a ASA  5505, that everything goes through for the internet.  My question is  what equipment do I need in order to setup a small working VOIP lab at  home?

I know will need a VOIP phone or two, but what else would would with the setup I already have.

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan,

Grab a couple 7960s and you can run CME on that router if you run older  code (I think up until 12.4(15)T has CME built on the 2600XM).  I'd recommend two routers, perhaps, so you can trunk between them.

DSPs are what converts analog or digital audio from a POTS (telephony) interface into an RTP packet.  For the 2600, DSPs will be in the NM-2V or NM-HDV card.

For a 2600XM, if you wanted to connect an analog phone:

NM-2V with VIC-2FXS

If you wanted to connect an FXS port to another router, the other side would have:

NM-2V with VIC-2FXO

If you wanted to simulate a PRI between two devices, each side would need:

NM-HDV with VIC-1MFT-T1

-Steve

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

If you have Cisco 261xXM, 262xXM you could run CME 4.1 on it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/cme41spc.htm

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/requirements/guide/33matrix.htm

If you have one of the above mentioned 2600 routers download ios 12.4(15)T7 IP VOICE and give it a try.

The 3660 might run a very old version of CME, but I don't think I would bother trying that.

If it is your only hope, then you need to download ios 12.4(3) IP VOICE for it.

Make sure to get a power supply with your phones or a small POE switch.

Good luck,

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

I wouldn't need any other hardware besides the phone?

It depends on what you want to do, but a phone (or two or three), a switch and a router with right ios will get you started.

If you want to connect to the PSTN you will need an FXO card or try to create a SIP trunk.

You could also try to find a copy of CIPC, a softphone to try instead of real phones.

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Awesome thanks, one last question.

If I want these phone to actually make and recieve calls, what is needed then?  With my current internet service I have a phone line through Comcast, can I somehow use that same number when I create the VOIP?

That really depends, if you are looking to use a regular analog line you'll have to get an FXO card on the router and some DSP's to support it. You can also use SIP to send/receive calls through the internet which won't need additional hardware. You can for example get Skype to work as a SIP trunk (That's a bit more painful).

DSP??? Sorry new to this, would that be the actual phone?  Just to make sure I have this right: a router with an FXO card, Call Manager Software, a few phones and a analog line going into the router...correct?

Jonathan,

Grab a couple 7960s and you can run CME on that router if you run older  code (I think up until 12.4(15)T has CME built on the 2600XM).  I'd recommend two routers, perhaps, so you can trunk between them.

DSPs are what converts analog or digital audio from a POTS (telephony) interface into an RTP packet.  For the 2600, DSPs will be in the NM-2V or NM-HDV card.

For a 2600XM, if you wanted to connect an analog phone:

NM-2V with VIC-2FXS

If you wanted to connect an FXS port to another router, the other side would have:

NM-2V with VIC-2FXO

If you wanted to simulate a PRI between two devices, each side would need:

NM-HDV with VIC-1MFT-T1

-Steve

Thanks for the info, just to make sure I have this right...

For my 3660 router, I need a NM-2V that my analog landline can plug into.  I also need Call Manager installed on the router, then a few IP phones that will be pluged into my switch and programed via the Call Manager to be able to make and receive calls.  Is this correct?

Yes, that is right.  Just to clarify, you'll run CME (Communications Manager Express) on the router, and you don't really 'install' it.  It is in IOS as long as you are running a feature set with ipvoice capabilities.  The only semi-necessary files to install/copy over to the router are phone firmware (although phones will still register regardless) and HTML files (if you want to use the CME GUI).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: