cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Equipment selection

rhammonds86
Level 1
Level 1

Need a router and switch for 5 offices. The main office will have 2 internal servers and a webserver. 4 remote offices will just have a file and print server. Each office has less then 20 workstations.  Need wired ports for the workstations, servers, and voip phones at each workstation. Need router for security switch for connectivity, needs to support voip. Also need wirless capability for employees and customers to bring laptops to the offices and connect to the network.

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the physical circuit connection to the Internet ?

Main office has ds3, each remote office has a T1.  Need switch and router for each.

A couple of more questions.

How big are the remote offices as far as user population ?

What kinds of applications need to be supported ?

Will there be a requirement for Voice over IP ?

As far as the head office goes,

What sort of infrastructure will need to be behind the heand end

a. number of servers ?

b. any company external links ?  (business partner, internet...)

c. how many users at the head office ?

Verizon Fios, 15mbps down version.  Going with this instead of the T1s much more cost affective. I was thinking 2801 router and 3560 switch, one of each at each office.  Set up Vlan tunneling and it should support the Voip stuff. Also add APs for the wireless stuff.

Would this work, or can you recommend a better or cheaper solution. Thank you

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Need router for security switch for connectivity

That's what all security vendor says but if you know what you are doing you can punch a hole in your firewall to allow this.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Main office has ds3, each remote office has a T1.

Don't know which one to recommend, a router based on the population of each site or a router based on the bandwidth.  I'd go for the bandwidth then.  For a remote office with a T1 channelized link, 1941 with VWIC2-1MFT or VWIC2-2MFT.

The main office, I'd go with a 2911 or a 2921.

Also need wirless capability for employees and customers to bring laptops to the offices and connect to the network.

Wireless, right.  Because I wouldn't know how many and how large (physically) each site is, I'd recommend a WLC, particularly the 5508.  The 5508 can support 12, 25, 50, 100, 250 or 500 AP.  All you need is a license key when you need to increase the number of access points.  Now for the access points, the next bet use the 3500i.  The "e" means that you can use external antennaes.

Need wired ports for the workstations, servers, and voip phones at each workstation.

Workstation Switches:  No brainer here.  The 2960S for Layer 2 only and the 3750/3750E/3750X if you are using Layer 3.

Server Switches:  3560/3560E/3560X or 3750E/3750X if you are using Layer 2/3.  Because you only have a handful of servers, then the 3560/3560E/3560X may work.

I'm not recommending the 3560/3560E/3560X because this particular model (for workstation) cannot be stacked (just in case).

Cisco Catalyst 3750-X and 3560-X Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/data_sheet_c78-584733.html

Cisco Catalyst 3560 v2 Series Switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/data_sheet_c78-530976.html

Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controllers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps10315/data_sheet_c78-521631.html

Cisco Aironet 3500 Series Access Point

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/data_sheet_c78-594630.html

Verizon Fios, 15mbps down  version.  Going with this instead of the T1s much more cost affective. I  was thinking 2801 router and 3560 switch, one of each at each office.   Set up Vlan tunneling and it should support the Voip stuff. Also add APs  for the wireless stuff.

Would this work, or can you recommend a better or cheaper solution. Thank you

Also would it be possible to just use a L3 switch at each office and a single router at the main office that enables voip to all the phones at all the offices through the vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco