Very quick Q about the Aironet 1200 series APs

Unanswered Question
Sep 23rd, 2010

Hi all,

I have a network of about 20 Aironet 1200's that i need to make a couple of changes on (for all of them).

I need to add a SSID and set that SSID to not be broadcasted.

My questions are: 1) Can i add the SSID in without having to bring the AP down in any way?

2) Where is the command to not broadcast the SSID? (from the GUI and CLi interface)

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Surendra BG Sun, 09/26/2010 - 09:06

1) Can i add the SSID in without having to bring the AP down in any way?

ANS -

Yes you can add the SSID without bringing down the AP...

how ==

from the GUI --

SSID manager >> enter the SSID >> map it to the vlan >> use the corresponding authentication.

Encryption manager >> Selec tthe desired encryption

Network Interfaces  >> Enable the radio.

the above will do it..

2) Where is the command to not broadcast the SSID? (from the GUI and CLi interface)

ANS ==

From the GUI..

Express security >> SSID >> next to SSID (uncheck BROADCAST SSID).

From CLI -

en

config t

dot11 ssid

no guest-mode

end

wr

this will do it.. Let me know how this works out fot you!!

Regards

Surendra

Headley01 Sun, 09/26/2010 - 18:21

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, however there are two more things i would like to ask..

1) It appears the express security part of your answer will instead create a new SSID entry, and not mask the new SSID from being broadcasting?

2) Is a restart of the Aironet AP required for the new SSID to work?

Surendra BG Sun, 09/26/2010 - 20:38

1) It appears the express security part of your answer will instead  create a new SSID entry, and not mask the new SSID from being  broadcasting?

I guess you did not see the GUI correctly.. next to the SSID you will see the box where we enter the SSID name and then followed by a small check box. where we need to check that if we need to broadcast or not if we dont.. check the below link..

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/bridge/1400/12.3_8_JA/configuration/guide/p38frst.html#wp1050022

2) Is a restart of the Aironet AP required for the new SSID to work?

Restarting is not required.. the SSID will work if its is configured correctly...

Regards

Surendra

Headley01 Mon, 09/27/2010 - 18:34

If i just wanted to keep one SSID, but not broadcast it, what must i do to make that happen?

Surendra BG Mon, 09/27/2010 - 19:18

ok.. Gotcha!!!

Then in that case....

SSID Manager >> Select the SSID >> Scrool down oto the bottom of the screen >> We can see Broadcast SSID >> In the drop down make it as NONE >> APPLY.

From the CLI..

en

config t

dot11 ssid

no guest-mode

end

wr

The above will do it..

Regards

Surendra

Actions

This Discussion